By Paul T. Choate
July 2, 2012. Around 60 golfers will be receiving a full refund for their rounds played on Saturday and Sunday at the Beech Mountain Club as temperatures soared into the 80s on both days. The refund comes as part of the club’s “Summer of 79°” stay and play package, which guarantees free golf if the temperature exceeds 79 degrees.
Here’s how the deal works:
• The offer is only valid on Wednesdays, Saturdays and Sundays
• You must book a two-night stay-and-play package in one of the inns, condos or homes at the club
• On Wednesdays and Saturdays, you must tee off after 1 p.m. to be eligible
• On Sundays, you must tee off prior to 11 a.m. to be eligible
• If the high recorded by the National Weather Service station on Beech Mountain exceeds 79, you will receive a refund check in the mail for your golf fee of $60 per person
“It was quite busy and it was quite hot,” said John Carrin, head golf professional at the Beech Mountain Club. “The record high for the past 20 years, it got to 81 degrees one time. It got to 81 on Friday, 83 on Saturday and 81 yesterday. So it tied or exceeded the official high for us three days in a row. What that meant for us was everyone who played after 1 p.m. on Saturday and everyone who played before 11 a.m. on Sunday played for free.”
Carrin added “the printer is going to be hot” with refund checks.
Approximately 250 golfers hit the links on Saturday and of those about 60 qualified for the Summer of 79° free golf deal. Carrin said many who did not receive the deal were season pass or partial season pass holders who pay an annual fee to play as much as they want, whenever they want, and are not eligible for stay and play deals.
Because July 4 falls on a Wednesday this year, Carrin said this past weekend and the coming weekend are both sort of “July Fourth Weekend” and that he expects another high turnout.
“It was a win-win situation,” said Carrin. “You either get to play in cool conditions or you get to play for free.”
For more information, call 828-387-2372 or visit beechmtn.com/summerof79.
To see our prior article on the Summer of 79° deals, click here.