March 22, 2013. Congresswoman Virginia Foxx (R-Banner Elk) is encouraging high school students from throughout North Carolina’s Fifth Congressional District to submit entries for the 2013 Congressional Art Competition. The 2013 theme is An Artistic Discovery, and the deadline for submissions to Foxx’s office is Friday, April 19that 5:00 p.m.
“Every year our country’s top young artists have the chance to display their work in the United States Capitol where it will be seen by visitors from around the world,” Congresswoman Foxx stated. “North Carolina’s artists are among the nation’s best and I always look forward to seeing the strong talent of our local young people. Narrowing the field down to just one winner is such a hard task that I’ve decided to share it with the Facebook community. We’ve got a tough choice ahead of us.”
As in years past, Foxx is inviting the online community to decide this year’s winner. A photo of each student’s submission will be posted on Foxx’s Facebook page, www.facebook.com/RepVirginiaFoxx. The piece that receives the highest number of “likes” will win, and the artist will have the opportunity to travel to the United States Capitol for the installation of their work. Online voting at www.facebook.com/RepVirginiaFoxx will begin on Monday, April 22nd, at 12:00 p.m. and will end on Friday, May 3rd at 12:00 p.m.
Each spring the United States House of Representatives hosts a Congressional Art Competition for high school artists. Winners are selected from each Congressional District and will have their work displayed in the United States Capitol for one year.
The following are guidelines for the competition:
- Only high school students residing in the 5th Congressional District may compete. Students may be enrolled at public, private, or home schools.
- Each submission must be accompanied by a completed Congressional Art Competition release form.
- All artwork must be original and may not violate any U.S. copyright laws.
- All artwork must be two-dimensional.
- Artwork must be framed by the artist at the time of submission. When framed, the piece can be no larger than 28″ high x 28″ wide x 4″ deep.
- Acceptable categories include: paintings, drawings, collage, prints, mixed media, computer-generated art, and photography.
- The deadline for submission is Friday, April 19th at 5:00 p.m.
Entries should be submitted to the 5th District Congressional Office in Clemmons:
Representative Virginia Foxx
3540 Clemmons Rd, Suite 125
Clemmons, NC 27012
Those with questions regarding the 2013 Congressional Art Competition may contact Congresswoman Foxx’s office at (202) 225-2071.