May 2, 2013. The Fifth Congressional District Democratic Party Annual Convention takes place Saturday, May 18, at the Continuing Education Auditorium on the Campus of Mitchell Community College in Statesville.
- Registration Begins: 8:30 a.m.
- Class Session I: 9:00 – 9:55 a.m.
- Class Session II: 10:00 – 10:55 a.m.
- BBQ Lunch: 11:00 am – Noon
- Convention: Noon
Prior to the convention, the following workshops will be offered. The workshops are designed to help you better organize your counties and prepare for upcoming elections:
- The Work of the Precinct: How to Make Precinct Meetings Fun
- How to Make VoteBuilder Work for Your County
- The Heart of G.O.T.V.: Canvassing, Flushing, Phone Banking and Transportation
- Best Practices for Your County Party
All registered Democrats are welcome and encouraged to attend, however, only elected delegates may vote in matters of business. The business of the Convention will be to elect new District Officers and to consider Resolutions that were passed at County Conventions and submitted to the District. The Convention will also feature remarks from NCDP 3rd Vice Chair Andy Ball.
In addition to the workshops and the Convention business, we would also like to invite you to join us for a BBQ lunch at 11:00 am.
Each county is reminded to bring a basket with items reflecting the diversity and local foods and crafts of their county for the silent auction. The silent auction will benefit the 5th Congressional District Democratic Party. Whitney Bost of Rowan County is coordinating this effort. Please contact her at (704) 213-3252 for more information.
If you have any questions regarding the Convention, please contact 5thDistrict Chair, Paul Lowe – [email protected] or (336) 575-8839.
Please remember that according to the NCDP Plan of Organization, alternates and proxies are not allowed at Congressional District Conventions.
Each county shall be entitled to its full voting strength only if the county has elected its full voting strength; if not, the county shall be entitled to the number of votes equal to the number of delegates they have elected.
Division of Votes Among Delegates Present The delegates who attend a district convention shall be entitled to vote the full strength of their county upon all matters of business which come before the respective district convention, and each such delegate present from a particular county shall cast an equal number of votes which the county is entitled to cast. All votes, which the county is entitled to cast, shall be divided equally among all the delegates in attendance representing that county.
Driving Directions to the Convention Site
- From I-77 South: Take Exit 50; turn right on East Broad Street and go approximately 1 mile until reaching the 2nd stoplight; turn left and at next stoplight turn right onto East Front Street and proceed approximately 1 mile; Center located on left.