Students from across North Carolina’s Fifth Congressional District are invited to submit entries for Congresswoman Virginia Foxx’s Congressional Art Competition. The deadline for submissions is Monday, April 30 at 5:00 p.m. Students may enter art in any of the following categories: Paintings, Drawings, Collage, Prints, Mixed Media, Computer-generated art and Photography.
“The Congressional Art Competition is an exciting opportunity for young artists to compete to display their work in the United States Capitol,” Foxx said. “One artist from the Fifth District will be able to hang his or her art in the Capitol for an entire year alongside the art of his or her peers from across the country.”
Again this year, Foxx is opening voting for the winner to the online community. A photo of each contestant’s piece will be posted on Foxx’s Facebook page, www.facebook.com/RepVirginiaFoxx. The piece that receives the highest number of “likes” will win and be displayed in the U.S. Capitol for a year. Online voting at www.facebook.com/RepVirginiaFoxx will begin on Tuesday, May 1, at 12:00 p.m. and will end at Monday, May 7 at 12:00 p.m.
In the spring of every year, the United States House of Representatives hosts a Congressional Art Competition for amateur high-school artists. The competition promotes attention to the arts by recognizing talented young artists from across the nation. The winning student from the 5th District will be invited to Washington, DC for the ribbon-cutting ceremony, and will have his or her artwork displayed in the U.S. Capitol for one year.
The basic guidelines for the competition are:
- Only high school students residing in the 5th Congressional District may compete.
- Each submission must be accompanied by a completed Congressional Art Competition release form.
- All artwork must be original and may not violate any U.S. copyright laws.
- All artwork must be two-dimensional.
- Artwork, when framed, can be no larger than 30″ high x 30″ wide x 4″ deep.
- Acceptable categories include: Paintings, Drawings, Collage, Prints, Mixed Media, Computer-generated art, and Photography.
- The deadline for submission is Monday, April 30th at 5:00 p.m.
- Entries should be submitted to Rep. Foxx’s Clemmons District Office at:
- 6000 Meadowbrook Mall, Suite 3, Clemmons, NC 27012
Students with questions about the Competition may contact Rep. Foxx’s office at (202) 225-2071.