Instead of framing the response and sending all of the candidates a list of questions, High Country Press let the candidates set the tone by asking for a statement on whatever the candidates wanted voters to know.
Here are their responses.
(Early voting for municipalities in Watauga County is underway at the Watauga County Administrative Building on King Street. Early voting ends Saturday, Oct. 31 at 1 p.m.
Blowing Rock Mayoral Candidates
As Mayor I want to continue to help shape Blowing Rock’s future. The completion of the highway widening project will present opportunities for development and beautification along Valley Blvd.
The ongoing Main Street Streetscape project is nearing completion and the next area of focus will be Sunset Drive.
The goal of the Gateway project is to create the Wow! factor when visitors arrive in Blowing Rock.
The recently approved bond referendum for infrastructure improvements will soon be implemented and its critical that the funds are spent wisely and the work is completed in a timely manner.
I was raised in Blowing Rock. My grandfather was Grover Robbins Sr., who was instrumental in bringing both the Blue Ridge Parkway and various tourism businesses to the area. My mother, Peggy Robbins Sellers, and uncles, Grover Robbins Jr., Harry Robbins and Spencer Robbins developed many tourism attractions in the area (The Blowing Rock, Tweetsie Railroad, Hound Ears, Beech Mountain, and Elk River.
My grandfather, Grover C Robbins Sr. formed the first Blowing Rock Chamber and realized the importance of tourism for the town of Blowing Rock.
- Groovy Nights – Blowing Rock Community Service
- Chestnut Ridge Donor
- Blowing Rock Chamber Member
- Blowing Rock Historical Society Member
- Matching Donor for Middle Fork Greenway
- Donations to Blowing Rock School playground
- Donations to Blowing Rock PTO
- Member CTNC
- Make a Wish Foundation
- Grew up attending St. Mary’s Blowing Rock, attend Rumple Presbyterian (with DY)
- Advocate a timely completion of 321. The 321 project will have the largest impact on our community since the completion of the Tanger Outlets and the Blue Ridge Parkway.
- Improve roads, water systems, and other infrastructure; develop a timeline for sooner implementation using the bond monies already allocated.
- Bring 911 dispatch back to Blowing Rock. Maximize our Fire and Police Departments by working with Watauga County for Blowing Rock EMS and also maintaining a presence in the Police office on Saturdays and Sundays.
- Assist with filling vacant business located in the business district. Use state and local programs as incentives. Use portions of the 2014 comprehensive program that best suits for our community.
- Support stage I of the Middle Fork Greenway. With current construction on 321 and extension of city services to Chestnut Ridge and Appalachian Ski Mountain, this is a prime time to complete the Stage 1 Greenway.
- Increase town revenues; encourage the Blowing Rock Chamber and TDA to court more corporate and group functions, expanding utilization of local venues.
Town Council Candidates
I am running for re-election to continue to help preserve the simple beauty of Blowing Rock.
My campaign message is one of Progress/Preservation. Our Town will grow but this must be tempered with assuring ourselves that such growth will in no way adversely impact the Town’s character.
Council Candiate Jim Steele didn’t respond to to this request, but all of the candidates can be viewed and heard in a prior candidate forum that is published here.
Also check out the sample ballots below.