July 26, 2013. The Greater Avery Tour de Art, the original fourth Saturday monthly gallery and studio hop, is now in its 5th anniversary season. Spanning from Valle Crucis to Linville Falls, this year’s Tour features 13 fine art galleries and artists’ studios in the greater Avery County area, the High Country’s fine art capital. This year’s Tour is proud to boast the addition of the studio of sculptural and functional potter Pam Brewer. Brewer will feature her own work in addition to creations by noted artists Lucy Hamilton and Tim Turner.
Returning to the Tour after a brief hiatus are the Anvil Arts Studio in Linville Falls and the Art Cellar Gallery in Banner Elk. At Anvil Arts Studio, guests will find a gallery and sculpture garden featuring interior and exterior sculptures, sculptural lighting and accessory creations by sculptor Bill Brown. Art Cellar Gallery showcases original painting and sculpture by local and southeastern artists.
Rounding out the 2013 Tour de Art are the following perennial favorites:
- Alta Vista Gallery, celebrating their 23rd year. On the National Register of Historic Places, Alta Vista features works in all media by over 200 artists.
- Carlton Gallery, featuring fine art and contemporary crafts in all media by local, regional and national artists. Carlton offers solo exhibitions and artist workshops as well.
- Crossnore Fine Arts Gallery represents regional painters, sculptors and fine crafters. Proceeds from this gallery support the Crossnore School’s Stepping Stones program.
- At Kevin Beck Studio, browse soulful paintings of the Blue Ridge and interact with this plein air painter in his studio.
- Linville Arts District consists of 87 Ruffin Street Folk Art Gallery, The Old Hampton Store and a group of resident artists. Visitors will find paintings, pottery, crafts and more along with a slate of classes.
- Linville River Pottery in Pineola is the studio of Patti Connor-Greene, featuring stoneware and porcelain teapots, vases, mugs and bowls handmade on a kickwheel, as well as colorful fabric wall hangings and quilts by Virginia McKinney Greene.
- Maggie Black Pottery is a studio and gallery showcasing functional and decorative work by local potters in stoneware, earthenware and raku.
- Rivercross “Made in USA” Market is a family friendly gallery that features a unique and trendy collection of arts and crafts made in the USA.
- Sally Nooney Gallery features original paintings in oil, acrylic and watercolor along with glass art and jewelry.
- The Studio of Mike Hill at Art Purveyors World HQ showcases whimsical illustrations and mixed media works by High Country illustrator and designer Mike Hill. Also featuring Wildflowers Fine Art Editions giclee prints by regional artists, ART-O-MAT host location, best frames ever, and a full line of fine art services and supplies.
Tour de Art is the fourth Saturday of each month through November from 10 a.m.-5 p.m. Free Tour maps are available at participating galleries and studios, and at selected locations throughout the High Country. The Tour is free and open to the public.