By Paul T. Choate
March 23, 2012. On Friday, March 23, Haircut 101, Gladiola Girls and Char present the OASIS (Opposing Abuse with Service, Information and Shelter) Benefit Fashion Show. The event begins at 6:30 p.m. at Char in downtown Boone.
Alaina Walker, co-owner of Char, said Char has already sold out of event tickets. Reneé Furman, owner of Gladiola Girls, said Gladiola Girls has 7 tickets remaining as of 12:30 p.m., Thursday. Bishop Glover, of Haircut 101, said Haircut 101 still has tickets available.
According to Glover, the models participating in the show are: Lyndsey Young, Susan Owen, Denise Lovin, Allie Burleson, Andrea Hicks, Susan Greene, Teri Moburg, Christina Howe, Miah Zimmerman, Sue Ivey, Gwen Dhing, Kelly Dupree, Nova Nelson and LeAnn Byrd. John Mena, owner of Haircut 101, added that if he sells out of his portion of the event tickets, he might even make an appearance as one of the models.
“John Mena, our owner, came up with the idea to do it,” said Glover. “He has always been a big supporter of OASIS and thought it might be a fun idea and a way to raise a bunch of money for them.”
“I think that to raise awareness about abuse victims in general is always good,” said Walker. “I’m really excited to be hosting this event. I feel like we get to give in the way that we can give. We have space, we have great food and the centralized location is really good for raising the most amount of money for OASIS.”
Glover said Gladiola Girls was selected as a partner in the event because “they have great clothes, they are really up on the trends and they are also huge supporters of OASIS.”
“I feel like it’s an honor and a privilege to be a business center and be able to use that to generate funds for the needs of women in the local community,” said Furman.
Gladiola Girls will be providing all the clothing for the upcoming fashion show. The theme for the fashion show is “tribal.”
“I hope this will be an opportunity for women to see women of different ages, different body types, different backgrounds come together and show you what spring has to offer,” said Furman. “‘Spring Tribal’ has been kind of the theme, and you will get to see how Gladiola Girls see tribal — it’s not animal prints and things like that. It’s more about mixing different ethnicities and different things that can’t be encompassed in one look.”
Tickets to the show are $60 and include a buffet dinner, a complimentary glass of wine and a gift bag with approximately $200 worth of local business gift certificates, coupons, discounts and products. Ticket holders will be entered into a raffle for one of four grand prizes (listed below) that range in value from $350 to $600. Additionally, raffle tickets for those who cannot attend the event will be offered at $5 per ticket or five tickets for $20 for prizes (listed below) valued between $50 and $350.
“I’ve had such an outpouring from people and businesses calling and wanting to donate prizes,” said Glover. “At first I was calling people that I knew and now they’re calling me. We’re still adding to the raffle prizes.”
Furman and Glover both said they were interested in holding this as an annual or biannual event in the future.
Char is located at 179 South Howard St., Boone.
Phone numbers: Char – (828) 266-2179. Haircut 101 – (828) 262-3324. Gladiola Girls – (828) 264-4120.
Photos courtesy of Gladiola Girls, featuring Kathryne Avery, Gwen Dhing, Denise Lovin and Lyndsey Young
Dhing, Lovin and Young will be models in the fashion show. Avery will be assisting with the show. Some, but not all, of the attire in this photo gallery will be featured in the show.
Click on first picture and then use the Arrow Key to flip through the photo gallery. This gallery has two pages.
Photos courtesy of Tommy White
Some of the local business owners who are making this possible
- Haircut 101: Free Haircuts for 1 year – $500 value
- Andrea N. Capua, Esq. di Santi, Watson, Capua & Wilson: Estate Planning Package; Individual/Couple Simple Will, Power of Attorney, Health Care Power of Attorney, Living Will – $400 to $600 value
- Haircut 101: Bumble and Bumble basket and Salon Centric gift basket with travel pro dryer and brushes – $450 value
- Gladiola Girls: one $25 coupon per month on any purchase of $50 or more – $300 value
Other raffle prizes
- Marathon Chiropractic: 2 packages: New patient exam and chiropractic visit (with full body adjustment) and a one hour massage. Transferable. $300 value
- Lisa Rees CPA at Bryce Holder CPA’s: Personal Income Tax Preparation and filing Estimated. $350 value
- Ginger Daily, Health Point RX: Medically supervised weight loss initial consultation. Package includes: limited physical by a nurse practitioner, nutritional counseling by nutritionist, 1 B12 shot, 4 lipovit shots (month supply), consultation for prescription strength appetite suppressant. $160 value
- Black Cat Burrito: $5 off any 2 burritos per month for 1 year, expires monthly. $60 value + $20 Our Daily Bread gift certificate.
- Boone Saloon: $25 gift certificate and t-shirt + Speakeasy Tattoo $50.00 gift certificate.
- Mellow Mushroom: 1 free pizza per month for 1 year. ($300 value)
- Burton Moomaw: Acupuncture appointment. $60.00 value
- Char: $50 Gift card + special prize
- Anna Bananna’s: Gift Certificate + $20 Our Daily Bread gift certificate
- Stick Boy: Gift certificate + $20 Our Daily Bread gift certificate
- Blue Ridge Vision: Christian Dior sunglasses
- Sue Ivey : Beer basket. $100 value
- Allison with Pure Romance: $50 gift basket + $25 gift certificate
- Nancy Greene: 1.5 Hour hot stone Massage. $110 value
- Blowing Rock Ale (Jeff Walker) – Beer Basket. $75 value
- Our Daily Bread: $60 gift certificate
- Makotos: $50 gift certificate, saki decanter w/ 2 cups
- Hob Knob Farm Café: Gift cerificate
- Mountain Mamma’s Bed & Biscuit: 2 nights stay; Victoria’s Paw Spa: Free grooming. $150 value
- Allie Burleson, Certified Rolfer (structural physical therapy), one session: $110 value
6:30 to 7:30 – Dinner and drinks
7:15 to 7:30 – OASIS presentation
7:45 to 8:15 – Fashion Show
8:30 to 9:00 – Raffle and wrap up
9:45 to 2:00 a.m. – Dance party