by Madison V. Fisler and Rebecca Mullins
Nov. 5, 2013. Nov. 11 is Veterans Day, when people all around the United States will take the time to honor and thank service members who have served, or are currently serving, the country. In the High Country, there will be many events to commemorate this occasion, and many special deals for Veterans to enjoy on their special day.
Be sure to check back as Veterans Day gets closer for updates on the goings-on this year.
The Boone Mall, located at 1180 Blowing Rock Road, will host a Veterans Day Event at 10:30 a.m. on Veterans Day. At center court, the Watauga Community Band will play live music and guests will get a chance to listen to live keynote speakers commemorate the day. Music will be performed at 10:30 a.m. by the Watauga Community Band before the program commencement, and following the program, the Marine Crops JROTC and Watauga County High School will perform their color guard routines. For more information, contact George Brudzinski at 963-3475.
Wilkes Community College will hold a Veterans Day Ceremony on Monday, Nov. 11 at 11 a.m. The service will be held on the front lawn of Thompson Hall, or in case of inclement weather, it will be held inside the ECMD Commons in Alumni Hall. The Veterans Day Ceremony will begin as a parade of local motorcyclists ride onto campus with the American Flag. The program will continue with the presentation of the colors by Wilkes Central High School JROTC. WCC student Starr Royal will perform the national anthem, and Keith Casey will give the invocation. Holly Foster, will serve as guest speaker for the event. She served from 1981 to 1989 in the United States Navy as a Hospital Corpsman (HM3). The ceremony will conclude with Cinnamon Martin and Penni Rash singing “America the Beautiful” and Fred McCall performing “Taps.”
Appalachian State University will host a Veterans Day ceremony Tuesday, Nov. 11, beginning at 7:30 a.m. The ceremony will be held at the Veterans Memorial located on the west side of Dougherty Administration Building. A continental breakfast will follow in the Dougherty Administration Building lobby. The public is invited.
The Mast General Store will offer one pair of Acorn slippers for every pair bought Nov. 1 – Nov. 11. Purchase slippers in store or online for some early Christmas shopping and to honor our veterans.
Discounts in the Area:
- Dollar General – 11% for Veterans, active military, members of the National Guard & Reserve and immediate family members. Redeem Nov. 11 in store (no coupon necessary) or online with code: OURHEROES.
- Grandfather Mountain – Wounded warriors get in free Nov. 11.
- JC Penny – 20% off in store purchases Nov. 6-11 with coupon and military ID or proof of service. http://www.jcpenney.com/jsp/browse/marketing/promotion.jsp?pageId=pg40034000008
- Golden Corral – 13th annual Military Appreciation Thank You Dinner Nov. 11 4 – 9 p.m. Free dinner offered for anyone who has served or is serving in the U.S. Military. No identification is required for the service member. http://www.goldencorral.com/military/faq.asp#faq
- Little Caesars: Free order of Crazy Bread on Nov. 11. Must provide proof of military status.
- Home Depot: 10 percent offered to veterans
- Harris Teeter: 11 percent off with Military ID, active duty and dependents only
- Subway: Free six inch sub with Military ID
- Watauga County Schools
- Caldwell Community College
- Watauga County Public Library
- Wells Fargo Bank
- Boone Department of Motor Vehicles
- Hunger and Health Coalition