Aug. 20, 2012. The Ashe County Farmers Market On the Backstreet in West Jefferson Presents Tomato/Salsa Contest Day on Saturday, Aug. 25, 2012. The contest is open to all residents of Ashe County. Judging for the Tomato Contest will take place at 10:30 a.m. and for the Salsa Contest at 11 a.m. Local judges will conduct the judging, and you must be present to win.
The Tomato Contest will consist of the following:
1. The best tasting tomato (red, yellow or purple)
2. The prettiest tomato (red, yellow or purple)
3. The ugliest tomato (red, yellow or purple)
4. The biggest tomato (red, yellow or purple)
The Tomato Salsa Contest will consist of the following:
1. Best Tomato Salsa (cooked, fresh or fruit)
2. Must use locally grown produce
3. Presentation – eye appeal
4. Taste – Combination of Flavor – Hot or Mild
1. The contest is open to “All Residents of Ashe County”
2. Produce used must be grown in Ashe County
3. Unlimited entries
How to enter:
1. Bring your tomato(es) and Salsa to the Farmers Market on Saturday, Aug. 25, 2012 between 9:30 a.m. and 10:30 a.m. There will be a table set-up under the tent on the grassy area.
2. There will be entry forms available at the table under the tent.
1. One winner will be selected from the entries of each category in the Tomato Contest and will receive a $10 Ashe County Farmers Market Gift Certificate.
2. One winner will be selected from the entries in the Salsa Contest and will receive a $10 Ashe County Farmers Market Gift Certificate.
Note: The Gift Certificates are good through the end of the 2012 Market Season and can only be redeemed at the Ashe County Farmers Market.
For more information, visit www.ashefarmersmarket.com.