by Madison V. Fisler
Feb. 6, 2014. February is heart month, and to commemorate, Appalachian Regional Healthcare System (ARHS) will sponsor the second annual Heart Shape event on Saturday, Feb. 9 from 9 a.m.-1 p.m. at the Paul H. Broyhill Wellness Center, located at 232 Boone Heights Drive in Boone and is free and completely open to the public.
For the second time, the Heart Shape event will offer participants an opportunity to explore the Wellness Center while learning about heart health and cardiology services available in the High Country.
Last year, more than 100 people came to the inaugural Heart Shape event, and even more are expected to attend this year.
“We really want to increase awareness about heart health and stroke prevention, and let people know about the various services we provide,” said Gillian Baker, vice president of corporate communications.
“February is National Heart Month, and we wanted to give it a local spin. All of the events are free and everyone is welcome.”
The event will feature a health fair with free screenings, wellness center tours, prize give-aways and samples of Wellness Center classes including yoga and water fitness. Additional healthy snacks will be provided throughout the morning by Earth Fare and Bare Essentials.
Events will all take place at the Paul H. Broyhill Wellness Center. The schedule of events is as follows:
- 9 a.m.-1 p.m. – Health Fair and Screenings
- 9 a.m.-1 p.m. – Give aways
- 9 a.m.-1 p.m. – Wellness Center tours by request
- 9:15-10:15 a.m. – Wellness Center classes: Zumba
- 9:15-10:15 a.m. – Wellness Center classes: Spin
- 10:30-11:30 a.m.: Wellness Center Classes: Yoga
- 10:30-11:30 a.m.: Wellness Center Classes: Water Fitness
- 10:00-10:45 a.m.: Health Talk with Dr. Hordes (Atrial Fibrillation)
- 11:00-11:45 a.m.: Health Talk with Dr. Helak (Cardiac Disease)
- 12:00-1:00: Healthy Cooking Demo
For more information about Heart Shape, visit www.apprhs.org/heartshape or call 828-268-8960.