July 20, 2012. Beautiful day? Nothing to do? Dreary day? Need something to chase away the blahs? Whatever the circumstance, be uplifted by an art tour of the gorgeous Avery and Watauga Counties countryside. Now in its fifth year, the Greater Avery Tour de Art is back with more art, more artists and more fun than ever before. Fourteen artist’s studios and galleries are participating from Crossnore to Pineola to Linville to Banner Elk to Grandfather Community to Foscoe to Valle Crucis to Shulls Mill – oh my!
The Greater Avery Tour de Art will be Saturday, July 28, 10 a.m. to 5 p.m.
And special events from one-person-shows to music to refreshments are on the agenda. Moving in a crooked line from Crossnore to Shulls Mill, the following venues are open to the public’s pleasure on Saturday, July 28. A map of the tour is available at each location.
- *Crossnore Gallery – representing regional painters, sculptors & fine crafts and located at 205 Johnson Lane, Crossnore. www.crossnoreschool.org
- Linville River Pottery – a working pottery studio featuring stoneware and porcelain handmade on a kickwheel and located at 2180 Goose Hollow Rd. Pineola. www.linvilleriverpotter.com
- 87 Ruffin Street Gallery – featuring folk art and located at 87 Ruffin St. Linville. www.87ruffinstreet.com
- Avery Arts Council – showcasing local artists, monthly exhibits and workshops and located at 77 Ruffin St. Linville. www.averycountyartscouncil.com
- Jesse Schmitt Studio – a working artist’s studio featuring original mountain landscapes and located at 77 Ruffin St. Linville.
- *Carlton Gallery – featuring fine art and contemporary crafts in all media by local and regional artists, located at 10360 Hwy. 105 S. in the Grandfather Community. www.carltonartgallery.com
- *ArtPurveyors World Headquarters – featuring an outrageous selection of custom frames, giclee prints and graphic designs, located at 112 Aldridge Park Rd. (105 S.), Foscoe. www.artpurveyors.com
- Maggie Black Pottery – featuring functional and decorative stoneware, earthenware and raku by local artists and located at 112 Clubhouse Dr. Suite 1, Foscoe. www.maggieblackpottery.com
- *Kevin Beck Studio – featuring original plein air paintings in oil and pastel by the High Country’s favorite landscape artist, located at 1590 Shulls Mill Rd. 1.5 miles from Hwy. 105. www.kevinbeck.com
- Kinchloe Studio – featuring original paintings, sculpture, glass jewelry, pottery and crafts, located at 111 Old Shull’s Farm Rd. Valle Crucis.
- *Alta Vista Gallery – featuring works by over 200 artists and located at 2839 Broadstone Rd. Valle Crucis. www.altavistagallery.com
- Rivercross Market – featuring a unique and trendy collection of arts and crafts made in the U.S.A., located at 3595 Hwy. 194 South, Valle Crucis. www.rivercrossmarket.com
- Sally Nooney Gallery – featuring original paintings in oil, acrylic and watercolor, glass art, jewelry and woodcrafts, located at 7137 Hwy. 194 S. Banner Elk. www.sallynooney.com
- Rage! Gallery – featuring Pete Paglan and an eclectic group of regional artists, located at 219 Beech Mountain Pkwy, Banner Elk. www.paglan.webs.com
*Planning special events this Saturday are:
Carlton Gallery is having an opening reception for Egi Antonaccio’s, “Realism of Light and Abstraction – Landscapes” from 2 to 5 p.m. View 30th Anniversary Group Exhibition 10 a.m. to 5 p.m.
Alta Vista is having an opening reception for Sheila Wood Hancock’s one-person-show titled “Mountains, Meadows & Cows, Oh My!” from 11 a.m. to 5 p.m.
Crossnore Gallery is having an opening reception for Rebecca King titled “There & Back Again” from 11 a.m. to 3 p.m.
Kevin Beck Studio is displaying Kevin’s new sunlit oils entitled “Parkway Paths” from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m.
Art Purveyors is releasing new giclee prints by Nancy Fowler Edwards.
Y’all Come! And relish the arts of the High Country.