Boone PD To Present Its Investigative Case File Regarding Best Western CO Deaths to DA’s Office Today

Published Thursday, December 5, 2013 at 1:42 pm

By Jesse Wood

Dec. 5, 2013. The Boone Police Department will present its investigative case file regarding the carbon monoxide deaths in Room 225 of the Best Western in Boone to the Office of the District Attorney today after wrapping up its criminal probe, according to a release Thursday from the Boone Police Department. 

In early June, Boone Fire Chief Jimmy Isaacs (left) looks on as Boone Police Chief Dana Crawford reads a prepared statement about the deficient exhaust system for the pool’s water heater. Photo by Jesse Wood

In early June, Boone Fire Chief Jimmy Isaacs (left) looks on as Boone Police Chief Dana Crawford reads a prepared statement about the deficient exhaust system for the pool’s water heater. Photo by Jesse Wood

The two agencies – plus Boone’s Planning & Inspections department – last met on Nov. 6. At the time, District Attorney Jerry Wilson and Chief Prosecutor Britt Springer requested more information from the Boone Police Department. Neither the Boone Police Department or the Office of the District Attorney would comment on what the additional information concerned. 

When asked for specifics last month, Capt. Andy LeBeau said, “No, I really can’t. I don’t want the media to tell certain people we are coming to interview them.”

Last month, Springer said that once the completed case file was presented to the Office of the District Attorney, it would then be decided whether or not criminal charges would be filed. As LeBeau said, it isn’t the police department’s “position” to determine whether criminal conduct occurred. 

While little details of the investigation have been released, local, state and federal investigators confirmed that a deficient exhaust system for the pool water heater at the Best Western in Boone led to the deaths of three lodgers who stayed in Room 225 earlier this year.

Room 225 is situated above the pool’s mechanical room that houses the water heater. 

The hotel closed down in June following the death of Jeffrey Williams, 11, of Rock Hill, S.C., who stayed in Room 225. His death led to the discovery that Daryl and Shirley Jenkins, both of Longview, Wash., and both in their early 70’s, also died of carbon monoxide poisoning in Room 225 on April 16.

The hotel reopened in July, while the pool area and Room 225 remain closed to the public. 

For more stories on this matter, click here

Comments

comments

Privacy Policy | Rights & Permissions | Discussion Guidelines

Website Management by Outer Banks Media