May 12, 2014. During the month of May17th-June 14th, professional home builders from across the region and Watauga County Habitat for Humanity are joining forces to help build new hope in partnership with low-income families seeking affordable housing.
During Habitat for Humanity’s Home Builders Blitz 2014, Habitat affiliates nationwide will partner with construction teams to build 300 homes in partnership with low-income families, including one home in Watauga County.
What: Kickoff day for Watauga Habitat’s participation in national Home Builders Blitz
When: Saturday May 17th, 9-3
Where: Watauga Habitat’s GreenWood neighborhood
(Directions: Turn left onto HWY 194 from US HWY 421 South at the Hardees traffic light at New Market Center. Travel approximately 5.5 miles on HWY 194. Turn Right onto Big Hill Road where Green Valley Elementary School in located. First left onto GreenWood Valley Drive, then an immediate left continuing on GreenWood Valley Drive. Go to the end and you will see the worksite!)
All our welcome to preview the neighborhood and witness the construction taking place. In addition Watauga Habitat invites all participants and anyone in the community with an interest to join us the evening of Thursday, June 5th at 5:30 for a celebration with food and beverage served and to experience the construction up to that point; or to see the completed house join the dedication Saturday afternoon, June 14th at 2 o’clock.
About Watauga County Habitat for Humanity: This will be Watauga Habitat’s first year participating in the National Home Builders Blitz. The home being built will be the fourth in Watauga Habitat’s current GreenWood neighborhood, and 25th completed in the county.
Sustainable building practices (Insulated concrete forms, tight building, and ductless mini-split systems) that Watauga Habitat has been implementing will be incorporated into the home in order to make it more sustainable and more cost effective.
Participating Local Businesses
Boone Heating & A/C
Capehart & Washburn Builders
Mountain Lumber Company
New River Building Supply
Tar Heel Basement Systems
Boone Rent-All & Parties Too!
Kevin Walker Construction
J. Swartz Painting
Appalachian Building Services
CJ Laws Drywall
Blue Ridge Supply & Millwork
Sunny Day Homes
Church’s Stone Masonry
High Country Cabinets
Habitat for Humanity’s Home Builder’s Blitz Facts
• 1067 homes built under Home Builder’s Blitz Model
• This (2014) will be the 4th National Home Builder’s Blitz
• The Home Builder’s Blitz is a partnership between Habitat for Humanity and the Building Industry to build homes across the nation
• In the past, Habitat for Humanity International found nearly 90 percent of participating affiliates were able to increase production through Home Builder’s Blitz without significantly increasing overhead Habitat for Humanity Facts
• 1500 + Affiliates in the United States
• 70 + National Organizations
• Has built/repaired over 800,000 houses
• Served 4 million + people worldwide
• Habitat houses are simple, decent, and affordable to low income families around the word
• Habitat for Humanity International was founded in 1976 Watauga County Habitat for Humanity Facts
• Watauga Habitat was founded in 1987
• Since it was founded Watauga Habitat has built 24 homes
• The average Habitat home in Watauga County costs $100,000
• Watauga Habitat is incorporating Sustainable Building practices into the homes it is building to create more cost-effective and sustainable homes
o Mini split systems
o Tight building
• Currently Watauga Habitat is constructing homes in its own GreenWood community located next to Green Valley School