Feb. 25, 2014. The Watauga County Board of Education will hear the final appeal regarding the use of The House of the Spirits in a public meeting on Thursday, Feb. 27, but the meeting is not a hearing at which public comments will be heard. Only the teacher in whose class the book is used and the parent who is appealing its use will make statements to the Board of Education.
“We’re making this announcement in advance because we don’t want people to come expecting that they can address the Board of Education and then be disappointed when they find out otherwise,” said Superintendent Dr. David Fonseca. “Public comments were received at the February 10th Board meeting. The purpose of this meeting is for Board members to hear directly from the teacher who uses the book and the parent who opposes its use.”
The meeting will be held at the Board of Education/Margaret Gragg Education Center on Thursday at 7:00 p.m. Admission to the building will be limited through the use of tickets to ensure safe conditions for the appeal. The tickets are free and will be available at the Board of Education with a limit of two tickets per person beginning at 4:30 p.m. this Thursday. Doors to the building will open at 6:00 p.m.
The review process for hearing objections to books and other media used in the Watauga County Schools is governed by the Board of Education policy 4.02.40, “Selection and Use of Educational Media.” This and any Board of Education policy is available under the WCS District link on the Watauga County Schools website (www.watauga.k12.nc.us) or on request from a school office.
For more on the book challenge:
- Feb. 25, 2014: ACLU-NC To Rally With Wataugans Supporting ‘The House of the Spirits’ Before School Board Vote Thursday
- Feb. 21, 2014: Update: Boone Police Investigates Letters Sent To WHS Teachers Regarding ‘The House of the Spirits’ Novel
- Feb. 10, 2014: School Board Hears From 21 Individuals on Both Sides of Pending Book Challenge at Watauga High School
- Feb. 10, 2014. Tonight’s School Board Meeting Moved To Larger WHS Auditorium, Franklin Graham Joins the Fray
- Jan. 15, 2014. Parent Files Final Appeal for WHS Book Challenge, School Board Expected To Entertain Matter in February
- Dec. 13, 2013: Committee Retains ‘The House of the Spirits’ After Hearing Whitaker, Lesesne at Appeal Thursday
- Dec. 6 2013: Local Book Stores, Libraries See Spike In Demand For ‘The House Of The Spirits’ Since Book Challenge In Oct.
- Dec. 4, 2013: Standing Room Only in Anne Belk Library at ASU for ‘The House of The Spirits’ Teach-In Tuesday Night
- Nov. 27, 2013: Coalition Against Censorship Pens Letter To WCS Book Challenge Review Committee: ‘Retain the Book’
- Nov. 21, 2013: Allende, Author of ‘The House of the Spirits,’ Defends Book, Pens Letter to Watauga School Board, Staff
- Nov. 18, 2013: GOP Commissioners Voice Objections To Watauga School Board Regarding ‘The House of Spirits’ Novel at WHS
- Nov. 8, 2013: Members Selected for Committee To Review Challenge of ‘The House of Spirits’ in Watauga Classroom
- Nov. 6, 2013: Parents Opposed To ‘The House of Spirits’ Speak During School Board Meeting: ‘Not An Issue Of Censorship’
- Nov. 1, 2013: WHS Teachers Defend “The House Of Spirits,” Concerned Parent Moves To File Appeal To Review Committee