1) Libraries Host Moneytopia Financial Education on Aug. 27
Attention all teens! Do you think getting ready for your financial future is a game? Well you’re absolutely correct! The Watauga County Public Library is presenting Moneytopia – an electronic hands-on game which teaches teens and young adults how to begin their money map to a successful future. Come join in the fun and food on Thursday, August 27 at 5:00. For more information, call Darren at the library at 828-264-8784 ext 2 or check their website @www.arlibrary.org.
The Ashe County Public Library is presenting a portion of the Financial Literacy Grant for teens on Thursday, August 27th at 5:00.
Moneytopia and Gen I Revolution online games will be used as fun tools to introduce teens to real-life applications of financial skills. The following skills will be emphasized: budgeting, saving, smart spending, minimizing credit card use, and establishing financial goals.
For more information please call (828) 264-8784 ext 2 or email [email protected]
2) High Country Tourism Community Training Session Aug. 27
NC Tourism Assistance Center Community Training Session: Aug. 27, 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. at American Legion in Blowing Rock. Open to tourism-related businesses in the High Country.
TRAC offers small tourism related businesses a chance to talk one-on-one with VisitNC program managers. Attendees will learn about Visit NC’s research, development
and marketing services, and discuss best practices in reaching travelers, the media, and increasing tourism visitation and spending.
Representatives from the NC Departments of Commerce, Cultural Resources, and
Environment & Natural Resources, and the NC Green Travel Program will also be on
hand to discuss services and opportunities for businesses. Mark your calendars and make plans to attend this very informative session!
3) Travel Packages Set for ASU Football Road Games
The Yosef Club has established travel packages for Mountaineer fans attending Appalachian State’s highly anticipated football
games at Clemson (Sept. 12), Old Dominion (Sept. 26) and Georgia State (Oct. 10).
CLEMSON (Sept. 12)
• A group rate of $159 per night is available at the Hilton Greenville (45 West Orchard Park Drive, Greenville, SC, 29615). Visit appstatesports.com
for direct link to online registration or call the Hilton Greenville at (864) 232-4747 and request the Yosef group rate.
Friday Night Gathering
• All Black and Gold faithful are invited to join the Yosef Club at American Roadside (301 East McBee Ave., Greenville, SC 29601) on Friday, Sept.
11, from 6-9 p.m. for an Appalachian State fan gathering. The gathering is open to all Appalachian State fans — pre-registration is not necessary.
Alumni Association Tailgate Party
• Enjoy pregame festivities with fellow Mountaineers on Sept. 12 at the Appalachian Alumni Association’s official tailgate party.
• Tailgate party is located in the air-conditioned Underground Recreation Center at Edgar Brown University Union, located across the street from
• The event begins at 8:30 a.m. and runs to 11:30 a.m. (12:30 p.m. kickoff).
• Tickets cost $40 for adults (includes unlimited food, non-alcoholic beverages and beer and wine).
• Tickets cost $20 for youth (ages 12 and under — includes unlimited food and non-alcoholic beverages).
• Spaces is limited. Registration is available online at alumni.appstate.edu.
Single-Day Bus Trip from Boone, Charlotte
• For fans wishing to make it a day trip, a bus carrying Mountaineer faithful will depart from Boone (Kidd Brewer Stadium Lot) at 6:30 a.m. and
pick up additional fans in Charlotte (Northlake Mall – AMC Theaters side) at 8:30 a.m.
• Upon arrival in Clemson, S.C., fans will be dropped off at the Appalachian Alumni Association tailgate party site (postgame pickup location TBA).
• Cost is just $110 for adults and $90 for youth (ages 12 and under), which includes ground transportation and ticket to Appalachian Alumni
Association tailgate party.
• Registration deadline is August 25. Registration is available online at appstatesports.com or by calling Appalachian State athletics promotions
and fan engagement at (828) 262-8649.
Please note that travel packages do not include game tickets. To purchase tickets from Appalachian State’s allotment, visit
appstatesports.com/tickets, call (828) 262-2079 or visit the Appalachian State athletics ticket office at the Holmes Center. Online sales are
available 24 hours a day, seven days a week and phone/in-person sales are available 9 a.m.-4 p.m., Monday-Friday.
OLD DOMINION (Sept. 26)
• A group rate of $114 per night is available at the Courtyard by Marriott (520 E. Plume Street, Norfolk, VA, 23510). Visit appstatesports.com for
direct link to online registration or call the Courtyard by Marriott at (800) 894-7956 or (757) 963-6000 and request the Appalachian State Booster
• Guests booked under group rate will also receive discounted parking at $14 per night (when making online reservations, disregard the website
alert that says $19 — those booking under the Appalachian State Booster rate will receive the discounted parking rate).
• Reservation deadline to qualify for group rate is Aug. 26.
Alumni Association Tailgate Party
• Details TBA
GEORGIA STATE (Oct. 10)
• A group rate of $149 per night is available at the Westin Peachtree Plaza (210 Peachtree Street NW, Atlanta, GA, 30303). To register, call the
Westin Peachtree Plaza at (404) 659-1400.
• Reservation deadline to qualify for group rate is Sept. 9.
Friday Night Chancellor’s Event
• Appalachian State Chancellor Dr. Sheri N. Everts will host an event for Appalachian State fans on Friday, Oct. 9 from 5:30-7:30 p.m. in the Overlook
Room at the Westin Peachtree Plaza.
• Details TBA
Appalachian State Tailgating
• The Georgia Dome’s Yellow Lot will be reserved for Appalachian State fans wishing to tailgate prior to Saturday’s game. Cost is $10 per vehicle.
Visit appstatesports.com for Georgia Dome parking map.
Please note that travel packages do not include game tickets. To purchase tickets from Appalachian State’s allotment, visit appstatesports.com/tickets, call (828) 262-2079 or visit the Appalachian State athletics ticket office at the Holmes Center. Online sales are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week and phone/in-person sales are available 9 a.m.-4 p.m., Monday-Friday.