Hearts of Hospitality: General Info Meeting Feb. 1
Hearts of Hospitality House, the ambassador group for Hospitality House, will have a general information meeting at the Episcopal Church of the Holy Cross, Valle Crucis on Wednesday, February 1, from 10:30 – 12. Interested individuals are welcome to attend to learn the many ways in which Hearts supports the work of the volunteers and staff of Hospitality House, the area facility for those who find themselves without shelter and in crisis. Volunteer opportunities will be discussed. GPS address: 122 Skiles Way, Banner Elk, NC 28604. For Info call Rose at 828-264-2733
Sweetheart Soiree for Senior Adults Feb. 11 in Blowing Rock
Health Alert: Flu and Stomach Viruses
Flu season is upon us! With public schools, colleges and universities coming back into session, it is important to know how you can assist in stopping the transmission of illnesses like flu and stomach viruses.
Prevention is the key
The best way to stay healthy and combat a respiratory (flu) virus, stomach virus and other viruses is through preventive measures. Getting flu vaccine Wash your hands frequently, especially after blowing your nose, coughing, sneezing, being with ill people and especially before you eat, if you are having vomiting and diarrhea.
- Avoid sharing objects (examples: drinking glasses, utensils, etc.)
- Avoid touching your nose, mouth and eyes (face)
- Get enough sleep and avoid getting “run down”
- Reduce stress
- Use tissues for coughs/sneezes and dispose of them immediately
- Eat right and drink plenty of fluids
- Avoid crowds and keep your distance from people whom you know are ill
- If you are sick, avoid contact with the frail, very young and elderly. Do not visit friends or family at hospitals, nursing homes, or assisted living facilities.
- If you are sick, stay home from work or school.
Notify your physician if you are not feeling any better or if you are getting worse.
You can help
Appalachian Regional Healthcare System asks the public to help us stop the spread of viruses. If you are sick or not feeling well, please refrain from visiting family or friends at our healthcare facilities.
To learn more about Appalachian Regional Healthcare System visit www.apprhs.org.
Special Olympics North Carolina Winter & Spring 2017
SCHEDULE OF EVENTS FOR WINTER/SPRING 2017
Health & Wellness Classes
- Yoga with Crystal from 10-11 a.m. on Tuesdays at the Optimist Clubhouse
- Cardio Groove with Amber from 10-11 a.m. on Wednesdays at High Country Dance
- Aquacise with Miss Cindy from 10-11 a.m. on Fridays at the Swim Complex.
- Aquatics from 2:30-3:30 p.m. on Tuesdays at the Swim Complex. (EXCEPT 1/24, 1/31. 4/11, 4/18)
- Bowling from 3:45-4:45 p.m. on Tuesdays at Boone Bowling Center beginning 2/14
- Basketball from 3:30-4:30 on Thursdays at Old Cove Creek Gym beginning 1/19
- Volleyball from 3:30-4:30 p.m. on Thursdays at Old Cove Creek Gym beginning
- Track & Field will start up in late March with times to be announced.
- Dry Land Alpine Skiing Training coming soon! Open to everyone.
- Dress & Suit Fitting for Joy Prom at Alliance Bible Fellowship, March 24th
- Joy Prom at Alliance Bible Fellowship, April 1st
- Watauga County Spring Games, April 27th at WHS
- SONC Summer Games, June 2nd-4th in Raleigh
FOR MORE INFORMATION OR TO REGISTER
You must be logged in to post a comment.