by Madison Fisler Lewis
Aug. 21, 2014. The sixth annual Avery County Tour de Art will continue with its August installment on Saturday, Aug. 23. As usual, many local galleries and studios in the Watauga and Avery County area will open to the public with special art events, exhibitions and much more.
Started six years ago, the tour gives art enthusiasts a chance to visit their favorite galleries, while at the same time allowing them to discover a new artist or piece that they may have not otherwise found. For the casual art lover, the tour provides a way to see many different galleries and studios all in one day.
The Tour de Art is held every fourth Saturday of each month during the summer and autumn from 10 a.m. until 5 p.m. Maps for the tour can be picked up at each location on the tour to help find other participating studios and galleries.
According to a press release, the participating galleries this year are as follows:
- Alta Vista Gallery: In its 24th year, Alta Vista Gallery is on the National Register of Historic Places and features fine art and crafts in all media by more than 200 artists with large selections of local mountain landscapes. The gallery is located at 2839 Broadstone Rd. in Valle Crucis between the Mast Farm Inn and the Mast Store Annex. For more information call 828-963-5247.
- Carlton Gallery: Carlton Gallery is one of the most established fine art galleries in North Carolina featuring a spirited collection of artwork in a casually elegant atmosphere. Celebrating 32 years of paintings, sculpture, glass, wood, clay, fiber and jewelry by local and regional artists, the gallery hosts solo and group exhibitions along with workshops by gallery artists. Carlton Gallery is located at 10360 N.C. 105 in Banner Elk. For more information cal 828-963-4288.
- Kevin Beck Studio: Browse soulful paintings of the Blue Ridge and interact with this plein air painter in his studio. Kevin Beck Studio is located at 1590 Shulls Mill Rd. in Boone. For more information call 828-963-1181.
- Patti-Connor-Green Linville River Pottery: This gallery is a clay studio and gallery featuring kickwheel demos by Patti Connor-Greene and handmade stonewear and porcelain teapots, bowls, vases, mugs and jewelry. Also featured with be fabric art and felting by Virginia Greene. The gallery is located at 2180 Goose Hollow Rd. in Pineola. For more information call 828-387-1944.
- Sally Nooney Gallery: The Sally Nooney Gallery is features original paintings in oil, watercolor and acrylic along with fun functional and sculptural pieces in glass and one of a kind jewelry. Commissions are invited. The gallery is located at 7137 N.C. 194 in South Banner Elk. For more information call 828-963-7347.
- Studio of Mike Hill and ArtPurveyors World HQ: Check out Mike’s latest political cartoons, paintings and graphic design. Since 1989, the studio has offed fine art publishing, creative services, fine giclee prints, art-o-mat, a frame shop and a full line of paint, brushes, paper and fine art supplies. The studio is located at 112 Aldridge Park. For more information call 828-963-7246.
- Studio 140: Studio 140 is a contemporary art gallery and open studio featuring nature and portrait artwork. See live painting demonstrations by Kent Paulette using uninhibited, energetic brush strokes. The featured work will be pieces by Bolivian-born action painter David Banega and fine art photographs by the internationally acclaimed Benjamin Walls. The studio is located next door to Sorrento’s at 14- Azalea Circle in Banner Elk. For more information call 828-781-5707.
You must be logged in to post a comment.