If you enjoy spending time in Banner Elk, or you’ve been waiting for the right time to check out what this mountain town has to offer, you’re in luck! Second Saturdays are a great way to learn more about this community and take advantage of specials and activities around town.
The Banner Elk Chamber of Commerce is working with its members to bring a day of fun to Banner Elk. Second Saturday activities and events are planned by individual businesses and include wine tastings, artist meet and greets, speakers, sales, and music.
The first Second Saturday event was held in May, and it received a lot of enthusiasm from locals and visitors. Events are planned for the summer months, June, July and August.
The Banner Elk Chamber Welcome Center is a good starting point for anyone interested in attending these events. The welcome center will pass out flyers with the full list of participants along with a walking map of the town. Information can also be found at www.bannerelk.org/secondsaturday
The following businesses will participate in this month’s Second Saturday festivities:
- WingN’ It: 10am-3pm- 828-898-5008-441 Shawneehaw Avenue, The Red Caboose! Meet the Wildlife Ambassadors, students and animals from the Blue Ridge Wildlife Institute- Owls, Hawks, etc!
- Hardin Fine Jewelry: 10am-5pm- 828-898-4653– 920 Shawneehaw Ave. Offering Refreshments and 20% off bracelets.
- Banner House Museum- 12-3pm- 828-898-364- 7990 Hickory Nut Gap Road. Music with Rhody Jane, Refreshments, Museum Tours
- The Art Cellar Gallery: 10am-5pm- 828-898-5775– 920 Shawneehaw Ave. Coffee Talk 10-Noon Michael Hunt and Naomi Dalglish, Origin and Inspiration Clay
- My Best Friend’s Barkery: 11am-4pm- 828-898-5625– 176 Shawneehaw Ave. Paw Print Art! Bring your best friend to place a paw print on a painted picnic table.
- The Bayou Smokehouse and Grill: 828-898-8952-130 Main St. E. Bayou General Store will have a wine tasting from 1 – 3 PM hosted by Jenn Weaver of Advintage Wines. Then enjoy lunch or a beverage on the Bayou Smokehouse & Grill deck and listen to live music by Peter Brown.
- Banner Elk Consignment Cottage: 1pm-3pm 828-898-5733 – 414 Shawneehaw Ave. Live Music by Bill Stevenson on the covered porch
- Sister Lee’s Cafe and Bakery: 828-898-4000 142 Main St. E. Free Beverage with purchase
- Banner Elk Subway- 828-898-8544 379 Tynecastle Hwy, Free Fresh Baked Cookie with Every Purchase!
- Dunn’s Deli: 9am-6pm- 828-898-6731, 134 Main St. W. 10% with coupon available at the Chamber Welcome Center
- Banner Elk Café: 6pm-10pm 828-898-4040–324 Shawneehaw Ave S. Music on the patio! Specials!
- Apple Hill Farm:10am-11:30-828-963-1662- 400 Apple Hill Rd, ‘Knit with the Alpacas’ Bring your knitting, crochet, needlepoint, embroidery – anything – and join us as we relax in the orchard with the alpacas and llamas, Cost $10.. The Apple Hill Farm Store will open early at 9:30 if you need to pick up any last minute yarn or needles. Each participant will receive 10% off in the farm store for the day, including tour fees! Tour at 2pm- Cost Adult- $12, child 4-10 $7, under 3 free.
- Stonewalls: 12pm-end of dinner- 828-898-5550 344 Shawneehaw Av. Visit the “Balsamic and Olive oil Tasting Room”- Noon to 5pm- Buy 3 Get 1 Free! (Equal or lesser value, excludes white truffle oil)
- Flat Top Brewing Company: 2pm-10pm- 828-898-8677– 567 Main St. Unit 1. Tour the Brewery, And Enjoy their Refreshingly Elevated Brews!
- Erick’s Cheese and Wine: 19m-5pm- 828-898-9424-4004 Hwy. 105, Grandfather Ctr.- Complimentary wine tasting, In addition, one wine as a paid taste with the proceeds going to The Avery County Humane Society.