By Jesse Wood
July 11, 2014. The Banner Elk Town Council held a “planning goals” workshop earlier in the year to set short and long term goals for fiscal year 2014-15.
Ongoing planning goals of the Banner Elk Town Council include strengthening downtown – improving its walkability, filling empty storefronts and improving the look of its streetscape.
One-year projects include building a kiosk in town, historical building markers and connecting the greenway at Mill Pond to Wildcat Lake.
Three-year goals include cleaning up dilapidated properties and park lighting.
Three other items are still being reviewed or need to be revisited before placement in the one-year or three-year slot. The council will revisit the need for the expansion of the public works building. It will also consider hiring a “position or coordinator – intern in park” and the need of developing a plan of action at the historic Banner Elk School.
See the entire list below:
- Strengthen Downtown
- Help Downtown to Look Fresh
- Make Town Walkable –
- Work with DOT on Improving Crosswalks
- Fill Empty Store Fronts
- Hanging Planters
- Improve Streetscape Look (planters/trees)
- Streetscape Maintenance
- Public Works Clean up
- Public Works Inventory
- Keep Boards Full of Members
- Marketing Efforts – Work with Others
- Kiosk in Town
- Historical Buildings Markers – Brick Markers Where Able
- 100 Trees
- Connection to Greenway – Wildcat Lake, Connection to Mill Pond
- PARTF-Finish Park Project
- Park Rules/Policy
- Town Hall – Outside Repairs
- Town Hall – Outside Lighting
- Utility Improvement/Inventory – Finish Study
- Cleanup Dilapidated Properties
- Park Lighting
- Parking over Vault
- Historic Banner Elk School – Not on List but on Mind – Need a Plan of Action
- Revisit Need for Public Works Building Expansion
- Hire a Position or Coordinator – Intern in Park