Smart meters are currently being installed in downtown Boone. The Town of Boone has created a website devoted to the meter program for education purposes. The website features frequently asked questions, survey, video, explanation of the solar-powered meters work and more.
Below is pertinent information from the Downtown Boone Development Association about the new parking management system:
- On-street parking on King, Depot, and Howard streets will be $1 per hour Monday – Saturday 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.
- One hour parking will remain in effect Monday – Friday 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m., and two hour parking will remain in effect on Saturdays 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.
- The Queen Street meters will remain $.50 per hour up for up to three hours Monday – Saturday, 8:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m.
- There is no parking enforcement on Sundays.
- The new smart meters will accept coins, credit and debit cards.
- Visitors may go back and feed the smart meter before or as their time expires, and they will not
- be required to move their vehicle to a new parking space.
- Parking validations will no longer be accepted.
For more information, click to this website.