By Jesse Wood
March 3, 2014. Chastity Lesesne, the parent who unsuccessfully challenged “The House of the Spirits” novel being taught in a 10th grade honors English class at Watauga High School, was on Fox and Friends Monday morning.
She was interviewed by Elisabeth Hasselbeck of Fox and Friends on the issues surrounding “The House of the Spirits,” which has been in the spotlight locally for the past five months. A reader of High Country Press sent in the above screen shot.
Check out the interview here:
Click the first link below to watch Lesesne’s 30-minute presentation to the Watauga County Board of Education that includes her reading graphic passages from the book.
For more on the book challenge:
- Feb. 27, 2014: Watauga School Board Votes 3-2 To Keep ‘The House of the Spirits’ in the WHS Curriculum Thursday
- Feb. 27, 2014: Students Stage ‘The House of the Spirits’ Read-In at WHS on Thursday Morning, Final Appeal Tonight
- Feb. 26, 2014: Location for Book Challenge Changed to Watauga County Courthouse, No Tickets Required
- Feb. 25, 2014: ACLU-NC To Rally With Wataugans Supporting ‘The House of the Spirits’ Before School Board Vote Thursday
- Feb. 21, 2014: Update: Boone Police Investigates Letters Sent To WHS Teachers Regarding ‘The House of the Spirits’ Novel
- Feb. 10, 2014: School Board Hears From 21 Individuals on Both Sides of Pending Book Challenge at Watauga High School
- Feb. 10, 2014. Tonight’s School Board Meeting Moved To Larger WHS Auditorium, Franklin Graham Joins the Fray
- Jan. 15, 2014. Parent Files Final Appeal for WHS Book Challenge, School Board Expected To Entertain Matter in February
- Dec. 13, 2013: Committee Retains ‘The House of the Spirits’ After Hearing Whitaker, Lesesne at Appeal Thursday
- Dec. 6 2013: Local Book Stores, Libraries See Spike In Demand For ‘The House Of The Spirits’ Since Book Challenge In Oct.
- Dec. 4, 2013: Standing Room Only in Anne Belk Library at ASU for ‘The House of The Spirits’ Teach-In Tuesday Night
- Nov. 27, 2013: Coalition Against Censorship Pens Letter To WCS Book Challenge Review Committee: ‘Retain the Book’
- Nov. 21, 2013: Allende, Author of ‘The House of the Spirits,’ Defends Book, Pens Letter to Watauga School Board, Staff
- Nov. 18, 2013: GOP Commissioners Voice Objections To Watauga School Board Regarding ‘The House of Spirits’ Novel at WHS
- Nov. 8, 2013: Members Selected for Committee To Review Challenge of ‘The House of Spirits’ in Watauga Classroom
- Nov. 6, 2013: Parents Opposed To ‘The House of Spirits’ Speak During School Board Meeting: ‘Not An Issue Of Censorship’
- Nov. 1, 2013: WHS Teachers Defend “The House Of Spirits,” Concerned Parent Moves To File Appeal To Review Committee