Compiled by Paul T. Choate
Oct. 4, 2012. On Friday, Oct. 5, downtown Boone businesses will participate in the monthly First Friday Art Crawl. Per usual, this month’s installment will feature food, drinks and music along with work and exhibitions from local artists. And as always, locals and tourists young and old are invited to attend and enjoy the Friday night fun.
Where to go:
ASU Turchin Center for the Visual Arts
423 W. King St.
5 to 9 p.m.
• On-going exhibitions include: International Focus Exhibition with 21 Sztuka : Contemporary Art from Poland I-V, The North Exposed: Inuit Art and others in the West Wing and Main Galleries
• The 26th Rosen Outdoor Sculpture Competition & Exhibition, part of the Appalachian Summer Festival, is ongoing through April and showcases the best in contemporary American sculpture
• At a Glance: Gestures of Curt Brill
• Roadside Attraction: Karen Bondarchuk
• Forever Protected: Paintings of the Blue Ridge Conservancy Holdings by Gayle Stott Lowry
• ArtJAM – 6 Artists, 6 Media
549 W. King St.
6 to 8 p.m.
• Live music
• Discounts of 10 to 40 percent off
553 W. King St.
6 to 9 p.m.
• Artwork by Drew Forester
• Spirit Fair
Doe Ridge Pottery
585 W. King St. #D
5:30 p.m. until …
• Pottery by Dottie Baker and Rick Brake: hand-building techniques
• Owner Bob Meier will also be displaying his work
• Wine, refreshments and snack food
Jones House Community Center
604 W. King St.
5:30 to 7:30 p.m.
• “In their Shoes” exhibit by Peace Rose Sisters
• Tribute to Dara Watson and William Mast, Jr.
• Various artists
641 W. King St.
7 p.m. until…
• Free face painting from local artist Claire Bilbao (tips encouraged)
• Food from Char / Wine from Glug
• Anna Banana’s second birthday celebration
Nth Degree Gallery
683 W. King St.
5:30 p.m. untill…
• Local artist Derfla
693 W. King St.
7 to 10 p.m.
• Graphic apparel by Geary Printworks
693 W. King St., Floor 2
6:30 to 9 p.m.
• Speakeasy tattoo artist and painter Mark French
• 510 Expert Tattoos artist Tom Michael
747 W. King St.
• Live music from Native L
Watauga Arts Council
798 W. King St.
6 to 8:30 p.m.
• Several artists featured during open gallery reception. Click here for more details
179 Howard St.
5 p.m. until…
• Buy one, get one appetizers and $5 glasses of house wine
• Local art in a sleek, modern bar setting from 5 p.m. to 7 p.m.
The Art of Oil
222 Howard St.
5:30 to 9 p.m.
• Wine Tasting