By Paul T. Choate
The job posting describes the responsibility of the position as, “facilitating and expanding university-wide faculty and student based research/creative activities by obtaining necessary resources, developing administrative infrastructure, fostering intra-institutional and external collaborations, and building sustainable funding opportunities,” with an early responsibility being facilitating the transition of splitting responsibilities of the the Graduate School and the Office of Research and Sponsored Programs into two separate units. Up to present, the two have functioned in conjunction with each other.
Applicant screenings will begin Dec. 21 and will continue until the position is filled. The start date is negotiable but the university would like to fill the position no later than July 1, 2013.
The ideal candidate must have:
- an earned doctorate in a relevant academic discipline and a scholarly record commensurate with a tenured, senior-level faculty appointment;
- a successful and significant history of externally funded research;
- extensive knowledge of federal and state funding processes, policies and regulations, as well as experience working with public and private funding agencies;
- the demonstrated ability to lead and manage all aspects of the university’s research operations, including the development and implementation of the vision, strategy and plans to grow the research enterprise in a way consistent with the university’s strategic plan
Interested candidates should submit the following in PDF format:
- a letter of application addressing the duties of the vice provost and the applicant’s experiences in administration and in higher education;
- a curriculum vita;
- contact information for at least three professional references (name, phone, email and/or mailing address)
Documents should be sent to [email protected]. If applicants use letters, they should be mailed to Co-Chairs, Vice Provost for Research Search Committee, Academic Affairs, B.B. Dougherty Administration Building, Appalachian State University, Boone, NC 28608.
For more information, visit chronicle.com/jobs/0000758469-01.