by Madison V. Fisler
Feb. 20, 2014. According to the American Red Cross, the need for blood donations is constant. Every two seconds, someone in the United States needs blood, and there is more demand than supply can provide. To meet the current demand, more than 41,000 blood donations are needed every single day.
There is no substitute for blood in most cases, and it is only available from living human donors. 9.2 million Americans are currently blood donors. Are you one of them?
The American Red Cross is asking for help for those in need. If you would like to donate blood to help others, you can schedule to donate at a local, convenient location.
- Watauga High School will host a blood drive on Monday, March 10 from 7 a.m.-12:30 p.m. Located at 300 Go Pioneers Drive, appointments to donate at Watauga High School can be made by calling Regina Alford at 828-264-2407, or appointments can be made online with sponsor code Watauga HS.
- Rutherwood Baptist Church will host a blood drive on Monday, Feb. 24 from 4-8:30 p.m. Located at 142 Don Hayes Road in Boone, and appointments can be made by calling Kay Sigmon at 828-264-7864 or online with the sponsor code Rutherwood Baptist.
- The Boone Optimist Club will host a blood drive on Tuesday, March 4 from 1:30-6:00 p.m at the Holiday Inn Express in Boone. To make an appointment, call Carolyn Kanoy at 828-264-8006 or to make an appointment online use sponsor code Holiday Inn.
- The Community Blood Center of the Carolinas will host a blood drive at 416 Howard St. at Appalachian State University. The drive will be held on March 6 from 10 a.m.-3 p.m. Participants will receive a free t-shirt. To make an appointment, go to carolinablood.org or call 704-972-4700.
- Lees-McRae College will host a blood drive on Friday, Feb. 28 from 1-6 p.m. at the Banner Elk Presbyterian Church located at 420 College Drive in Banner Elk. To make an appointment, call Carl Griewisch at 828-898-8862 or use sponsor code Lees McRae to make your appointment online.
- Cannon Memorial Hospital will host a blood drive on Thursday, March 13 from 1:30-6:00 p.m. For an appointment, call Revonda Wood at 336-413-3286 or use sponsor code Cannon Hospital to reserve your appointment online.
For more information about blood drives and the American Red Cross, click here.