By Jesse Wood
June 11, 2013. From locales far away such as Hawaii and Miami to national news outlets such as CNN and Yahoo, reporters across the country are following the recent deaths of three people who passed away from carbon monoxide poisoning in Room 225 of the Best Western in Boone.
In the middle of the night at about 3 p.m., CNN ran a story titled “Mystery of 3 Deaths in Same Hotel Room Traced: Carbon Monoxide” in which two local business people were interviewed including Chuck Style, the manager of Idol’s Tire & Auto.
In the CNN story, Betty Austin, owner of the Mountain House restaurant, asked nearly the same question as did the son of the couple from Washington that died on April 16 – nearly two months before the 11-year-old boy from South Carolina perished in the same room last weekend and a month after the Watauga County Health Department ordered the Best Western to correct its ventilation system immediately.
On Sunday, Doug Jenkins, the son of Daryl and Shirley Jenkins, told the Charlotte Observer, that he was outraged that Best Western was still renting out the room before toxicological results of his parents were released.
“Do you know how mad I am right now?” Jenkins asked. “Why are they still renting out this room?”
Austin asked a similar question: “If you had this happen one time, why in the hell didn’t they do something about it?”
Here is a link of CNN Live from the Best Western: http://startingpoint.blogs.cnn.com/2013/06/11/carbon-monoxide-poisoning-deemed-likely-cause-of-three-deaths-in-one-north-carolina-hotel-room-alina-machado-reports/?iref=allsearch
Click here for the most recent coverage of the situation.