Oct. 31, 2014. On Oct. 30 at approximately 4:15 a.m., Boone Police were notified of a breaking and entering to a motor vehicle. The resident awoke to find someone outside in his vehicle. Officers with the Boone Police Department and Watauga County Sheriff’s Deputies responded to the call. The sheriff’s office K-9 unit tracked the suspect to N.C. 105 and High School Drive.
Joshua Adam Sparks, 31, of Richmond, Ky., was arrested. When Sparks was taken into custody, a loaded 9mm handgun was located near him. It was later determined the firearm was stolen. Sparks has been charged with the following:
- One count of Felony Possession of a Stolen Vehicle;
- One count of Felony Possession of a Stolen Firearm;
- One count of Felony Possession of a Firearm by a Convicted Felon;
- One count of Felony Breaking and Entering a Motor Vehicle;
- One count of Misdemeanor Preparation to Break and Enter Motor Vehicles;
- One count of Misdemeanor Larceny;
- Two Counts of Misdemeanor Possession of Stolen Property;
- One count of Misdemeanor Possession of a Schedule IV Controlled Substance.
Sparks received a $50,000 secured bond pending a Dec. 4, appearance in Watauga County District Court.
“We are thankful for the assistance of the Watauga County Sheriff’s Office in apprehending Mr. Sparks. The fact that he was in possession of a loaded pistol when he was apprehended, underscores the dangers that officers increasingly face.” said Boone Police Sgt. T.J. Proffit.