By Jesse Wood
Oct. 22, 2013. With low temperatures dropping below freezing come Wednesday, snow is in the forecast.
A week from now last year, schools were closed because of the snowfall associated with Hurricane Sandy, but other than a dusting, not much accumulation is expected this week in October.
Ray’sWeather.com forecasts a chance of flurries Wednesday evening and additional flurries come Friday morning. Mountaintops could see an accumulation of up to an inch while a dusting is likely elsewhere.
“Again, these are upslope snow showers which favor the higher terrain and westward facing slopes (especially TN border locations). That said, many of us will see enough flakes a flying to get us pumped up for winter,” Ray’sWeather.com notes in its forecast discussion.
For a more detailed forecast, click to Ray’sWeather.com.
Below is the seven-day forecast from the Blacksburg, Va., office of the National Weather Service:
- This Afternoon: Mostly cloudy with a 20 percent chance of showers. Near steady temperature in the upper 50s. West winds 10 to 15 mph with gusts up to 25 mph. Tonight: Mostly cloudy. A chance of light rain in the evening… Then a slight chance of showers after midnight. Lows in the lower 40s. West winds 10 to 15 mph. Chance of rain 30 percent.
- Wednesday: Partly sunny with a 40 percent chance of showers. Cooler with highs in the upper 40s. West winds 15 to 20 mph with gusts up to 40 mph. Wednesday Night: Mostly cloudy with a chance of rain showers with a slight chance of snow showers in the evening…then partly cloudy with a slight chance of rain and snow showers after midnight. Little or no snow accumulation. Cooler with lows in the lower 30s. Northwest winds 10 to 15 mph. Gusts up to 30 mph in the evening. Chance of precipitation 30 percent.
- Thursday: Partly sunny in the morning…then mostly cloudy with a slight chance of rain showers in the afternoon. Highs in the upper 40s. West winds around 10 mph. Chance of rain 20 percent. Thursday Night: Mostly cloudy. A chance of rain showers in the evening…then a chance of snow and rain showers after midnight. Lows in the lower 30s. Chance of precipitation 40 percent.
- Friday: Partly sunny. A chance of snow showers. Highs around 40. Chance of snow 40 percent. Friday Night: Through Saturday Night: Mostly clear. Lows in the upper 20s. Highs in the mid 40s.
- Sunday: Mostly sunny. Highs in the upper 40s. Sunday Night: And Monday: Mostly clear. Lows in the lower 30s. Highs in the lower 50s.
- Monday: Sunny, with a high near 56.