by Madison V. Fisler
May 29, 2014. Summertime has arrived in the High Country, and for many residents and visitors the coming of summer signals the start of one of the areas most treasured traditions. The Friday Concerts on the Lawn at the Jones House will kick off on June 6 with live music concert featuring Soul Benefactor and the Spice Creek Ramblers.
The free outdoor concerts are held every Friday evening at the Jones House Community and Cultural Center in downtown Boone. Starting at 5 p.m. (unless otherwise noted), the concerts are a great way to spend some time outside and kick off a relaxing weekend throughout the summer season.
Be on the lookout for this year’s special events including the Independence Day Concert on July 4 and the Local Traditions Showcase held in September.
Guests are encouraged to bring their own chairs and blankets to spread out on the lawn to enjoy the show presented by the Town of Boone and many local area sponsors.
The official lineup for this year’s Summer Concerts on the Lawn is as follows:
- June 6 – Soul Benefactor; Spice Creek Ramblers
- June 13 – Mercury Dames; Swing Guitars
- June 20 – Doc Watson Celebration (begins at 4 p.m.)
- June 27 – Red Leg Husky; The Monroebots
- July 4 – July 4 Concert (starts at 1 p.m. after the parade)
- July 11 – Buck Haggard Band; The Buck Stops Here
- July 18 – Andy Ferrell & Oncoming Train; Carolina Crossing
- July 25 – Cathy Fink & Marcy Marxer; Kelley & The Cowboys
- Aug. 1 – Amantha Mill; Jazz Guitar Duo with Page & Schaller
- Aug. 8 – Never Too Late Bluegrass; Williams & Company
- Aug. 15 – Shane Shanke’s BE Jazz Band; Todd Wright
- Aug. 22 – Steve Katz (A special one-man show with original member of Blood, Sweat & Tears)
- Aug. 29 – David Childers; Dashboard Hula Boys
- Sept. 5 – Lazybirds; Sound Traveler
- Sept. 12 – Local Traditions Showcase (begins at 4 p.m.) – Glenn Bolick; Orville Hicks; Rick Ward; Lonnie Ward; Charlie Glenn; Mary Greene and Strictly Strings
The Jones House Community and Cultural Center is located at 604 W. King St. in downtown Boone. Sponsors for this year’s concerts include the Downtown Boone Development Association, The Mast General Store, mPrints, Footsloggers, Melanie’s Food Fantasy, Farmers Rentals and Stick Boy Bread Co.
For more information about the Friday Concerts on the Lawn or any other events at the Jones House, visit www.JonesHouseCommunityCenter.org or call 828-268-6280.