The leaves have fallen and so have the temperatures. In honor of National Weatherization Day, WAMY Community Action offers simple ways you can save more than $150 on your heating bills this year:
- Caulk around windows and openings.
- Install foam gaskets behind the wall outlets and switch covers.
- Adjust your thermostat by 10 degrees for 8 hours each day.
- Install insulation over the back of any attic doors or weather-strip around hatch door openings.
- Install window film over windows that seem to be allowing cold air inside.
- Heavy drapes can block drafts and conserve warmth.
- Don’t forget to switch ceiling fans to winter mode.
- Use foam sealant to fill in any gaps or holes such as under the sink or dryer vents.
- Seal the fireplace. Close the damper when not in use and, if you are not going to use the fireplace at all, stop the flue with a fireplace plug.
- Uninstall window air conditioners and plug the holes.
WAMY Community Action has been committed to making low-income family’s homes warmer and safer for decades. Our Weatherization program can provide full home insulation, air-sealing and more. For additional information, go to www.wamycommunityaction.org or call 1-800-571-WAMY