By Madison Fisler Lewis
The High Country Fitness and Health Expo will bring fitness awareness to the High Country community on Saturday, March 14, from 10 a.m.-3 p.m at the Boone Mall.
“I was trying to figure out how I could promote fitness in the High Country and promote businesses that relate to health and fitness in the High Country,” Russell said. “I just kind of came up with it and started putting it together.”
Russell said that the main focus of the expo is to inform the community about local health and fitness options.
“I think it is important to know what the local gyms offer, and it is also important to know about all of the different kinds of exercise,” Russell said. “You don’t have to go to conventional gyms if you don’t want to – there are so many different types of exercise out there. This is a great way for people to come out and see what the options are, meet trainers and see all of the available exercise formats.”
The expo will include fitness class demos on exciting topics like Zumba, Zumba Toning, Zumba Gold, Zumba Kids, Insanity, Ballroom Dancing, Crossfit, Yoga and much more.
“Twenty-minute class demos will take place in the center court, and there will be information tables all around center court and throughout the mall,” she said. “This is a non-sales event, so everyone will be out there to answer questions, talk to people, give out information and let people learn about the options.”
The fitness class is as follows. Schedule subject to change:
- 10:00-10:20 – Zumba Kids/Zumba – Teresa Godwin and Vanessa Minton
- 10:25-10:45 – Body Pump – Avery County YMCA
- 10:50-11:10 – Zumba Gold – Cynthia Carlson
- 11:15-11:35 – CrossFit – CrossFit Postal
- 11:40-12:00 – Bare Essentials Natural Market
- 12:05-12:25 – MMA Boone
- 12:30-12:50 – Zumba Toning – Ellen Russell
- 12:55-1:15 – Insanity – Shauna Godwin
- 1:20-1:40 – Yoga – High Country Yoga – Briana Kidd
- 1:45-2:05 – Zumba – Ellen Russell
- 2:10-2:30 – Ballroom Dancing – Rebellion Ballroom – Dave Burchfield
The event will also have health and wellness professionals on hand including personal trainers, chiropractors, physical therapists and fitness instructors.
In addition, there will be many giveaways during the day.
“We have class passes, bags, t-shirts, gym bags and really cool stuff being given away, so it is really lucrative for people to come and register,” she said.
For more information, call or visit:
- Chetola Recreation Center and Spa
- Appalachian Family Chiropractic
- Anytime Fitness
- Bare Essentials Natural Market
- CrossFit Postal
- Wisdom Tree
- Avery County YMCA
- Broyhill Wellness Center
- High Country Yoga
- Rebellion Ballroom
- Appalachian Rollergirls
- High Country Dance Studio
“Take some time for yourself and take the time to be a better version of yourself,” Russell said.
“Take that first step toward becoming a healthier version of yourself and seeing what the health community has to offer you.”