1000 x 90

Here Is Step-By-Step Process of How To Claim Your NC Unclaimed Cash From N.C. Treasury

NCcashBy Jesse Wood

Jan. 22, 2013. Due to the response of the N.C. Unclaimed Cash series from High Country Press readers in Ashe, Avery and Watauga counties, here is the step-by-step process of how to claim unclaimed cash from the the N.C. Treasury.

(If you know someone who doesn’t have a computer but is on the list, tell them to call 919-508-1000 to request the claim form to fill out.)

If you do have access to a computer … first – depending on what counties you have formerly lived in and/or are currently residing – check out our three posts for individual counties in the High Country and scroll through the list of thousands of names to see if you or someone you know is on the list.

Click on the name of the county where you currently live or have lived to see if you are owed money – Ashe, Avery, or Watauga. You might have money listed in all three counties if you have lived numerous places in the High Country. 

If your name is on the list, click to this website: https://www.nctreasurer.com/Claim-Your-Cash/Claim-Your-NC_Cash/Pages/Search.aspx

Once there, type in your name into the unclaimed property database. Once you have found your name, click “Generate Claim” link on the right side of the listings of people. 

Fill out the form on the computer and print it out. Carefully read, complete, and sign claim forms before a notary and have signature(s) notarized.

Attach the requested proof of ownership and mail it to the Unclaimed Property address on the bottom of the claim form.  Please keep a copy of your claim form or record the claim number for future reference. (Scroll down to the bottom of the page for an extensive list of documents to prove ownership.

All claim forms and documentation are required to be submitted by mail to: 

Unclaimed Property Program
PO Box 20431
Raleigh, NC  27619-0431

If you have questions about submitting your claim, please call: 919-508-1000.

Proof of Ownership Documents

You are permitted to use the following documentation to prove ownership on an unclaimed property claim form. 


COPY OF: any legal document showing your social security number such as:

  • Social security card
  • W-2 form
  • Income tax form
  • Insurance card
  • Pay stub
  • Bank statement
  • Certificate of deposit

Proof of ADDRESS

COPY OF: any legal document showing name and specific address such as: 

  • Drivers license
  • Employment application or documents from personal file
  • W-2 form
  • Income tax form
  • Letterhead/envelope with printed address
  • Letter
  • Page out of phone book or church/club directory
  • Pay stub
  • City/County tax bill
  • Title to car, truck, boat, mobile home etc
  • Bank statement or bank book
  • Privilege license certificate
  • Blank or canceled check, deposit slip
  • Marriage/death certificates, divorce decree
  • Utility, medical, legal, insurance bill etc
  • Deed, Deed of Trust, closing documents on property bought/sold
  • Church records
  • Credit Report
  • School records/transcripts
  • Power of Attorney papers
  • Last Will and Testament
  • Trust Agreements
  • Envelope addressed to claimant with US postmark
  • Letter from 911 office verifying new & old address
  • Motor vehicles driving record or registration
  • Letter from US Post Office on official letterhead with signature of Postmaster and official seal affixed
  • Contact DMV – Driver Records at 919-715-7000 to request copy of your Driver Address History (fee charged by DMV)
  • Military records (check with Veterans Affairs Division)
  • Birth certificate of child born while at that address