As the holiday season approaches, I want to thank you for assisting us in making the Avery County Schools a caring and inviting place for our students. It is an honor for us to work with a community that supports each student giving them every opportunity to be successful. In my opinion, the most powerful statement about the success of any school system is what we do what is best for each student every day and that we encourage them to be the best person they can be.
Remember, students watch what we do much more than they listen to what we say. Our actions speak volumes and it is incumbent upon us to model and display the character we feel is important in the world in which we live. If we want to make our world a better place, we must start with one child at a time because our children are the future of our world.
I truly believe if we work together and remain committed to the task of educating children, nothing is impossible. Our goal, to have every student graduate from high school, is fueled by understanding each one’s potential, ensuring that all students are at least learning on grade level and offering tools to be successful now and in the future.
High standards and expectations are visible in day-to-day activities for our students. To further enhance these standards, each of our schools continue to offer specially designed programs to address academic needs as well as offering enrichment opportunities for students.
The following are some dates related to our holiday schedules:
- Nov. 26 – 28 – NO School – Thanksgiving Holiday
- Dec. 2 – Crossnore Elementary Program- 6 p.m. First Baptist Church Crossnore
- Dec. 5 – Newland Christmas Parade – 5:30 p.m.
- Dec. 11-14 – “Annie” Hayes Auditorium Lees McRae College 7 p.m.
- Dec. 11- Banner Elk Elementary Winter Program- 5:30 p.m.
- Dec. 11- ACHS Chorus Christmas Concert – 7 p.m.- First Baptist Church Crossnore
- Dec. 12- SCOTTIE Drop-in Reception- 4 to 6 p.m.
- Dec. 15- AMS Chorus/Band Christmas Concert- 6 p.m. AMS Cafeteria
- Dec. 16 – Regional Science Fair
- Dec. 16- Cranberry Middle School Program- 6 p.m.
- Dec. 18 – Blue Ridge Academy Gradation – Mountain Glen – 4 p.m.
- Dec. 19 – Early Dismissal
- Dec. 22 to Jan. 2 – NO School – Christmas Holidays
On behalf of Avery County Schools, I wish for each of you a very blessed Thanksgiving Season. My prayer is that you will have an opportunity to enjoy and spend time with friends and family. Thank you again for what you mean to our school system. All you do is appreciated.
ACS Supt. David Burleson