As we come to the end of another exciting school year, the Avery County Schools are asking our parents for their feedback on our Excellent Schools Survey. In order to receive valuable information concerning our school system we feel that it is critical to hear from our parents and community. It is our belief that our parents are one of our most important resources. We are asking that our parents take just a few minutes of their time to fill out the parent survey before Monday, June 1. The electronic link to this survey can be found on the Avery County Schools’ website: www.averyschools.net . A paper survey, along with instructions, has been sent home with all students. If a parent has children in more than one school, they are to complete a survey for each of the schools. Our middle and high school students will be completing a survey during homeroom over the next couple of weeks.
The end of the school year brings several exciting events for our students and community. Here are some of those events that parents and community might want to attend:
- Tuesday, June 9 – School Board Meeting – Commissioners’ Meeting Room – 6 p.m.
- Wednesday, June 10 – Blue Ridge Academy Graduation – Chapman Center – 4 p.m.
- Thursday, June 11 – Last Student Day – Early Dismissal
- Friday, June 12 – Required Workday
- Friday, June 12 – Avery High School Graduation – Avery High Stadium – 6:30 p.m.
- Monday, June 15 – Optional Workday
- Tuesday, June 16 – Summer School Begins
- Thursday, July 2 – Summer School Ends
- Wednesday, August 5 to Friday, August 7 – New Teacher Orientation – Central Services
- Tuesday, August 11 – First Optional Workday
- Thursday, August 13 – Avery County Schools Convocation – Avery High School – 7:30 a.m.
- Monday, August 17 – First Student Day
SCOTTIE, our pre-K mobile classroom, will be operating this summer trough July. This program serves children who are three or four years old. If you would like to register a child for SCOTTIE or would like to obtain more information about the program please call us at (828) 733-6006 or go to our website.
As a school system, our primary concern is that our children be provided the best educational opportunity possible and to be in the position to further his/her education upon graduation from the Avery County Schools if that is his/her desire. In order to provide the highest quality education possible it is critical that we hear from all those involved in our school system. We hope that you will never hesitate to contact us when you have a question or problem concerning your child. If there is anything that we can do to assist you or your child, please do not hesitate to contact me.
Again, thank you for your spirit of cooperation and we look forward to hearing from you soon.
ACS Supt. David C. Burleson