By Kaitlan Morehouse
Head to the mall and start shopping now, because the Friends of the Watauga County Library Book Sale is back!
Dates will be as follows:
- Thursday, May 19 from 4-9 p.m.
- Friday, May 20 from 9 a.m. to 9 p.m.
- Saturday, May 21 from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m.
The first date on Thursday, May 19 will be for Friends of the Watauga Library members, which you can join for only $5 for individuals, $2 for youth and $10 for family memberships.
“It’s easy to join Friends of the Library,” said Watauga County Librarian Monica Caruso.
Click here for an official membership form.
Each of the thousands of books that will be sold have been donated.
Book sale prices will run as follows:
- Most hardbacks, $2
- Children’s hardbacks, 50 cents
- Most paperbacks, 50 cents
- Children’s paperbacks, 25 cents
- Audiobooks, videos, DVDs and CDs, $1
All other books will be individually priced, which include “oldies but goodies” and higher priced and coffee table books.
Chances are, you’ll find something that interests you, your family or your friends. Read below to see if one of the genres interests you.
Proceeds will go to the Watauga County Public Library and the Western Watauga Branch. Look below to see where your contributions went last year!
‘It’s the biggest fundraiser that the Friends organizes, and 100 percent of the fundraisers goes back to the library” Caruso said. “Most of the donations to the library usually go toward collections, materials and adult and children’s collections, so it’s important to support the library.”
Established in 1974, the Watauga Friends of the Library strives to engage the public in the use and support of and provide funds for the library.
Library Hours include:
- Monday through Thursday from 9 a.m. to 7 p.m.
- Friday through Saturday from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m.
The Watauga Library is located at 140 Queen Street in downtown Boone, and the Western Watauga Branch is located at 1085 Old U.S. Highway 421 in Sugar Grove, NC.
Contact Caruso at [email protected] or 828-264-8784 or visit the library online or Friends of the Library online for more information.
Continue reading for photos of the ongoing sale and a list of genres available.
Genres for the sale will include:
- Coffee Table Books
- Foreign Language
- Short Stories
- Historical Fiction
- Music CDs
- Antiquarian Books
Programs and activities supported in 2015:
- Reading and Rolling Summer Program
- Literacy Magazine with local students’ writings
- Volunteer Appreciation Breakfast
- Arly, the library’s regional mascot
- Writing Club for teens and tweens
- Regional in-service program for library staff
- Books, audio books and and DVDs for adults and children
- Adult Spelling Bee Registration and Bee Bucks
- Children’s Department supplies for Craft programs, fish tank supplies and maintenance
- Program refreshments
- Caleb the Magician and Young Adult Author, Katherine Erskine
- Summer Reading Programs
- “Eggstravangza” Easter egg hunt
- Lisa Baldwin Reception after Boone Christmas Parade
- Book Clubs: Watauga Book Brewers, Mystery and Book Bunch, Teen/Jr Teen Book Club
- Guest speaker/Poet Laureate Sharyn McCrumb at FWCPL Annual Meeting
- Support for Watauga Adult Services Librarian to attend Watauga Leadership Challenge
- Support for staff continuing education in Library Science
- National Library Week
- Genealogy programs
- Community Poetry Event
- Printing of the Watauga Library Brochure
- Boone Boo and Caitlyn’s Face Painting
- Performances by Peter Fletcher, King Bees and Creekside Grass
- Musical Storytime with Laura Donovan
- Sound Traveler: Bob and Patty Tatum’s presentation on songs and meanings
- VITA (Volunteers for Income Tax Assistance program) supplies, snacks and lunch
- Constant Contact subscription for E-Newsletter
- High Country Festival of the Book/Graphic Novel workshops
You must be logged in to post a comment.