By Jesse Wood
July 25, 2014. Judge Linda McGee, who worked at a local law firm for 17 years, was recently designated chief judge of the N.C. Court of Appeals by Chief Justice Sarah Parker, effective Aug. 1, 2014, when current Chief Judge John C Martin steps down from the bench to retire.
McGee, who was born in Marion in McDowell County, practiced law with di Santi, Watson and McGee in Boone for 17 years. In 1995, she was appointed to the N.C. Court of Appeals by Gov. Jim Hunt. She was then elected to an eight-year term and re-elected in a 2004.
In a letter announcing her designation, Parker wrote to McGee: “The property administration of justice is the most significant task of our judiciary, and in this new role you will have important leadership responsibilities in this undertaking. You have served ably as a Judge of the Court of Appeals, and I am confident that as Chief Judge you will continue the tradition of integrity and excellence established by your predecessors.”
See that letter below and also a bio of McGee
McGee’s BIO from NC Courts
Early Years: Born in Marion, McDowell County, NC.
Personal Information: Married to B. Gary McGee. They have two children.
Educational Background: Marion High School, 1967; UNC-Chapel Hill, BA, 1971; UNC-Chapel Hill School of Law, JD, 1973.
- Judge McGee was appointed to the Court of Appeals in 1995 by Governor James B. Hunt, Jr. She was elected to an eight year term in 1996 and re-elected in 2004.
- She practiced law in the law firm of di Santi, Watson & McGee in Boone for 17 years
- Judge McGee served as the first Executive Director of the N.C. Academy of Trial Lawyers from 1973 to 1978
- American Bar Association: Public Education Committee, Appellate Judges Division, ABA Pro Bono Conference Host Committee, The Fellows of the American Bar Foundation
- N.C. Bar Association: Co-Chair, Lawyers in Schools, Committee on Women in the Profession, Board of Governors, 1983-86, Bench-Bar Liaison Committee, CLE Committee, and frequent CLE Speaker, Nominating Committee, Long-Range Planning Committee, Legal Services Task Force, Task Force on Education, and Training of Lawyers in N.C.
- N.C. Academy of Trial Lawyers: Board of Governors, 1991-94, Local director, People’s Law School program, 1991-94, Wade Evans Mock Trial Competition judge, CLE Speaker
- N.C. Association of Women Attorneys: Charter member in 1978, Charter member and former chair of Judicial Division, Panelist on Women Judges Forum at all five law schools in our state, Former treasurer and Board of Directors member, CLE Speaker
- N.C. Association of Black Attorneys
- N.C. State Bar Legal Specialization Study Committee, Mandatory CLE Committee
- N.C. Board of Law Examiners, 1986-93
- N.C. Judicial Conference Committee on Laws and Regulations Affecting the Courts. Watauga County Bar Association: First woman president
Boards And Commissions
- North Carolina Center for Public Policy Research
- Custody and Visitation Mediation Advisory Committee
- North Carolina Sentencing and Policy Advisory Committee, former member
Honors And Awards
- 2004 Woman of Achievement Award, General Federation of Women’s Clubs of North Carolina
- 2000 Toll Fellow, Council of State Governments
- 1999 Outstanding Judge of the Year Award, Judicial Division of the N.C. Association of Women Attorneys
- 1996 Gwyneth B. Davis Service Award, N.C. Association of Women Attorneys
- 1992 Pro Bono Service Award, N.C. Bar Association
- 1982 Woman of the Year, Boone Business & Profession Women