By Jesse Wood
June 11, 2014. While tomorrow is the last school day of the year for students attending the Watauga County Schools, today is the final full day of the 2013-14 school year – to the delight of students across the county.
Thursday, July 12, will be an early-release day with K-8 students dismissing at noon and Watauga High School students leaving at 1 p.m.
A release from the school system states that a bag lunch will be served on the last day of school and buses will run usual routes. Wednesday is the last day of the afterschool program for 2013-14 school year.
Other WCS, WHS Tidbits To Note
- Graduation ceremonies for Watauga High School take place at Holmes Convocation Center on the campus of ASU at 10 a.m. Saturday, June 14.
- See this post for a listing of student scholarship recognitions.
- Valedictorian: Sidney Wiswell is the WHS Valedictorian for the 2013-14 school year. She finished with a 4.0 GPA and accumulated numerous recognitions including National Merit Scholarship finalist, acceptance to N.C. Governor’s School, October Rotary Club student of the month, captain of the cross country and swim team and many more.
- A summer reading camp will be provided for selected current third graders beginning June 16. Families of students recommended for this program will be notified by their school.
- Watauga County Schools offers a free summer feeding service at Cove Creek School this summer. Free breakfast and lunch will be available to children and youth ages 18 and under at Cove Creek School on Mondays through Thursdays from June 16 through July 22. For more info, click here.
- The school calendar for next school year is available under the calendar heading on the Watauga County Schools website at www.watauga.k12.nc.us. The first day of school for students will be Tuesday, August 19. Teachers and other 10-month personnel return to work on Wednesday, August 13.