1) Eating Disorders Awareness Week Feb. 24-March 2
A week of events to promote health body image and raise awareness about eating disorders for men and women will be held Feb. 24-March 2 at Appalachian State University. The events, sponsored by the university’s Counseling and Psychological Services Center and University Recreation are:
- Monday, Feb. 24 – No Makeup Monday
- Scale Smashing on Sanford Mall
- Body Language panel discussion at 6 p.m.
- Rock Your Body at the Quinn Center
- Tuesday, Feb. 25
- How to Feel Confident in One Hour at 12:30
- Do’s and Don’t’s of Nutritional Supplements at 6 p.m.
- Wednesday, Feb. 26
- Mindful Eating at 4 p.m.
- Thursday, Feb. 27
- How to Help a Friend with an Eating Disorder at 5:30 p.m.
- Meeting Jake and Finding Me at 7 p.m.
- Yoga without Mirrors at 11 a.m.-12:15 p.m.
2) March Programs at Elk Knob State Park
- Nature Hike: Time to get rid of that cabin fever! Get some exercise in the midst of mountain splendor and learn about what the natural community is up to. Please dress appropriately for the weather. Meet on Sunday, March 2 at the Summit Trailhead at 2 p.m.
- Celestial Treasure Hunt: We are going to learn about the constellation, Orion, and how to find other constellations in relation to it. You will leave knowing how to find not only Orion, but also Canis Major, Taurus the Bull, the Great Nebula in Orion and the asterism of Pleiades, the seven sisters. If we are having inclement weather, we will use the Stellarium program inside the office so don’t let the weather keep you from “expanding your horizons” but prepare to be outside. Meet at the park office at 7:30 p.m. on Saturday, March 8.
- Spring Anticipation: March brings many signs of change to a new season. Come learn what makes this month stand out. Meet at the park office at 2 p.m. on Saturday, March 15.
- Nature Hike: Time to get rid of that cabin fever! Get some exercise in the midst of mountain splendor and learn about what the natural community is up to. Please dress appropriately for the weather. Meet on Sunday, March 23 at the Summit Trailhead at 2 p.m.
- From Caterpillar to Butterfly: What kind of butterflies can you see at Elk Knob State Park? On Sunday, March 30 at 2 p.m. we will discuss the metamorphosis from caterpillar to butterfly and view some pictures through PowerPoint of the butterflies and caterpillars that call this park home. We will discuss the anatomy of the insects and if weather allows we will venture out after the presentation and see if there are any early fliers. Please meet at the Park Office.