1) Avery County Habitat for Humanity
The Annual Dinner and Live Auction is one week away. Don’t miss out on the fun, get your tickets today. To whet your appetite, here are a few of the items that we will be auctioning:
- Round of golf for 4 at Elk River Club, guest and cart fees included
- Original Barbara Timberman oil painting
- High Mountain Expeditions rafting trip
- and much, much more.
Tuesday, June 11 at 6 p.m. at Crossnore First Baptist Church gym. Tickets are $20 in advance, and $25 at the door. Tickets can be purchased at the ReStore, from ACHFH Board Members, or from ACHFH staff. We will be giving away door prizes throughout the night, so be sure to come and enjoy the tasty dinner provided by Loaves & Fishes restaurant and live musicby Jesse Smith and Ann Thompson. Please call 828-733-1909 for more information.
The White Elephant Yard Sale will be on Saturday, June 29, starting at 8:00 a.m. at 2170 Millers Gap Hwy, Newland in front of the Habitat for Humanity Restore. There will be furniture, books, handbags, games, toys, Christmas items, dishes, household goods and one-of-a-kind items.
2) Grandfather Mountain State Park
On Sunday, June 9, at 7:30 p.m. there will be a Twilight Hike starting at Profile Trail. Join a Park Ranger for an evening stroll through the Southern Appalachian forest and see the woods as the sun sets. Experience the park from a different perspective and learn about nocturnal wildlife. Participants much bring flashlights or headlamps and are encouraged t wear hiking boots. The hike will go approximately 1.5 miles. Dress appropriately for the weather. Please, no pets. For questions, please contact the office at 828-963-9522.
3) FARM Cafe ‘Hungry Hearts’ Live Art Auction June 15
The 2nd Annual “Hungry Hearts” Live and Silent Auction is taking place June 15, 2013 at St. Luke’s Episcopal Church. The auction includes art from local, well-known artists. All proceeds benefit the non-profit restaurant, FARM Cafe. Cullie Tarleton will lead the live auction. The event will take place from 4:30 unti 7 p.m. The live auction will begin at 5:45 p.m. A $5 donation is requested at the entrance. Beer, wine and soft drinks will be available for purchase. A night devoted to art and our community, sponsored by FARM Cafe. We are seeking artists that would like to donate their time and talent to support the Hungry Hearts Auction and our community.
About the Cafe: FARM Cafe builds a healthy and inclusive community by providing high quality and delicious meals produced from local sources, served in a restaurant where everybody eats, regardless of means. For more information, visit the website here. For more information, please contact Tracey Thompson at 828-963-6511.
4) Greg Brannon, soon-to-be Candidate for the U.S. Senate, Comes to Ashe County for the Republican Lincoln-Reagan Day Luncheon on June 22, 2013.
Greg Brannon is a Christian, pro-life, pro-family, Tea Party, Constitutionally conservative Republican physician. He was a featured speaker at the 5th District “Constitution Day Tea Party Rally” at Wilkes Community College in September of 2011. In 2009 Greg began a mission to communicate our Founders’ message with the desire to ensure that the American Dream, which he has been fortunate to live, will be available to future generations. His conservative platform includes his pledge to defend the 2nd Amendment, cut taxes, balance the budget, protect the unborn, repeal Obamacare, and protect North Carolina’s sovereignty under the 10th Amendment. Come and hear this Christian, Constitutional conservative’s message. You won’t be dissapointed. The Luncheon will be held at Shatley Springs Restaurant located at 407 Shatley Springs Road in Crumpler, NC at noon on Saturday, June 22. Admission is $15 at the door and includes a southern-fried chicken lunch with country vegetables, biscuits, dessert and beverage. The event is being hosted by the Ashe County Republican Party Executive Committee. For more information contact Chairwoman Mary Desautels at 928-713-6732.
5) Summer Yoga Sessions at Mt. Jefferson
Bring in the weekend with a evening or morning yoga experience on Mt. Jefferson. Several free mixed-level Vinyasa yoga classes will be offered at Mt. Jefferson State Natural Area. Enjoy a nature based Yoga session with the beautiful backdrop and scenic views from Mt. Jefferson’s first overlook. Bring a mat, a water bottle and an open mind as we unite mind, body and nature. All levels of experience are invited to attend. This program is for ages 12 and up. All children must be accompanied by a parent. Meet at 1st overlook. For more information call the park office at 336-246-9653.
6) Mt Jefferson State Natural Area June Programs
Friday, June 7: Night Hike to Luthor Rock at 8 p.m.
- Meet the park ranger for a 1 mile hike along the ridgeline out to Luthor Rock. Bring a small flashlight and wear sturdy shoes. Parts of this hike are considered strenuous and hiking at night can be physically challenging. This program is designed for adults will good basic hiking skills. Children over seven are welcome but must be closely supervised.
Saturday, June 8: Underground Railroad Hike at 2 p.m.
- Traverse the history of Mt. Jefferson as you hike back in time to the days of the Underground Railroad. Discuss folklore, stories, history and legends that have been passed down through the generations. This hike will follow the mountain ridgeline.
Sunday, June 9: Mount Jefferson Nature Hike at 2 p.m.
- Hike the ridgeline of Mt Jefferson and explore the natural world of wildflowers and wildlife on the Summit and Rhododendron Trails. Natural history and folklore will be discussed. Appropriate clothing and sturdy footwear are recommended. Meet at picnic shelter.
7) Dog Photos are Back Again
It’s Pet Portrait Time! Mark your callendar for Tuesday, June 11. That long awaited time of year has finally arrived, and this might be our last. We have our diligent photographer, Dale Marie, setting up and working her magic. To book your pets, call or drop by the restaurant and talk to our of our host and management staff. It’s $50 per seating at we have 15 minute time slots for each family. You will get a 5×7 portrait of your pet, in either color or black and white. Roca will get a black and white framed portrait of your pets for our bar. This is our last planned pet portrait this year. We are running out of walls in our bar! Call as soon as possible to book your seating. Again, Tuesday, June 11 between 10 a.m. and 5 p.m. Be ready to provide name, phone number, email and your pets names.