1) Sanitation Department Closed for Christmas
The Watauga County Sanitation Department and all convenience centers will be closed on Wednesday, Jan. 1 for New Year’s Day. The Transfer Station and all convenience centers will be open on Thursday, Jan. 2.
2) Watauga County Library Closed for Christmas
The library will be closed on Tuesday, Dec. 24, Wednesday, Dec. 25 and Thursday, Dec. 26 for the Christmas Holiday. We will close at 5 p.m. on Tuesday, Dec. 31 and we will be closed on Wednesday, Jan. 1 for New Year’s Day.
3) January Programs at Elk Knob State Park
- First Day Hike: Come on out and view the gorgeousness of Elk Knob in winter. Start the New Year off right with a healthy dose of fresh air and exercise, and learn a bit more about the park. We will hike to the summit if the weather permits. Please dress appropriately for the weather. Meet. Jan. 1 at the summit trailhead at 2 p.m.
- Owls: Who is there? What kind of owls hang about the mountain and what do they do all winter? Come learn some interesting things about owls. Meet at the park office Saturday, Jan. 4, at 2 p.m.
- The Black Bear: The black bear is one of the most exciting yet feared large mammals in our mountains. Discover their habits and habitats and learn how humans can peacefully coexist with these magnificent animals. Meet at the park office on Sunday, Jan. 12 at 2 p.m.
- Winter Hike: Come out for the best of all worlds. Get some exercise in the midst of mountain splendor and learn about what the natural community is up to. Meet a the summit trailhead at 2 p.m. on Sunday, Jan. 19.
- The Science of Snow: For humans, snow can be pretty, fun, annoying, dangerous and many other things. What does it mean for the natural world? How does it form such intricate shapes? Cut out a scientifically correct flake and learn how to preserve real ones. Come find more about this magnificent crystalline wonder. Meet at the park office at 2 p.m. on Saturday, Jan. 25.
4) Walk MS at Yadkin River Greenway
Walk MS in Wilkesboro will take place April 5 with registration beginning at 8:30 a.m. The opening ceremony and walk will begin at 10 a.m. with route distance to be decided. Walk MS connects living people with multiple sclerosis and those who care about them. It is an experience unlike any other – a day to come together, to celebrate the progress we’ve made and to show the power of our connections. When you participate in Walk MS, the funds you raise give hope to the more than 12,000 people living with MS in North Carolina. The dollars raised support life-changing programs and cutting-edge research. Every connection counts. Register now, connect with others and start fundraising today at www.walkMSncc.org. Walk MS: Wilkesboro is sponsored by Modern Automotive Network.