March 31, 2014. On Thursday, March 27, 2014, the Boone Police Department along with the Watauga County Sheriff’s Office, Appalachian State University Police Department, Blowing Rock Police Department and North Carolina Highway Patrol conducted an impaired driving checking station on King Street at College Street.
As a result of the checking station, the following charges were made:
- 4 Driving While Impaired;
- 1 Wanted Person – Assault on a Female;
- 1 Fictitious Information to Officers;
- 4 Alcohol Violations;
- 4 Misdemeanor Drug Violations;
- 1 Felony Possession of Marijuana with Intent to Sell and Deliver;
- 35 Other Motor Vehicle Law Violations.
“Area law enforcement agencies intend to do more of these checking stations. We are going to aggressively seek driving while impaired offenders in an effort to keep our citizens and visitors safe.” – Captain Andy Le Beau – Boone Police Department
27 officers utilizing a Governor’s Highway Safety Program mobile breath-alcohol testing unit, better known as a BATMobile, along with representatives from MADD and WYN, participated in the checking station. Local law enforcement agencies will continue to conduct checking stations over the next several months.