By Jesse Wood
Oct. 17, 2013. Thursday’s dreary weather is expected to clear up some on Friday and through the beginning of next week – just in time for a weekend full of leaf lookin’ and fall festivals, two that include the Woolly Worm Festival in Banner Elk and the Valle Country Fair in Valle Crucis.
While rain isn’t ruled out on Saturday, slightly cooler and sunny with clouds seems to be the forecast for the next few days, according to Ray’sWeather.com and the National Weather Service. Sunday is expected to be the sunniest day of the weekend.
Lows will be the 30s starting Saturday while highs will dip down into the 50s on Sunday.
“We’ll be another stop cooler Sunday and Monday with valley frost a good bet both mornings. Computer guidance differs regarding timing, but all agree on the coldest air of the Fall thus far arriving by Wednesday night behind the next front moving through Wednesday. This front will be moisture-starved; so rain is NOT in the forecast. The first real freeze will be possible Wednesday night,” Ray’sWeather.com notes in its Forecast Discussion.
Below is the seven-day forecast from National Weather Service’s Blacksburg, Va., office.
- This Afternoon: Showers. Near steady temperature in the lower 60s. West winds 10 to 15 mph. Chance of rain 90 percent.
- Tonight: Mostly cloudy with showers likely in the evening… Then partly cloudy with a chance of showers after midnight. Cooler with lows in the lower 40s. Northwest winds 10 to 15 mph with gusts up to 25 mph. Chance of rain 70 percent.
- Friday: Mostly sunny. Highs in the lower 60s. Light and variable winds…becoming west around 10 mph in the afternoon.
- Friday Night: Partly cloudy. Lows in the mid 40s. Light and variable winds.
- Saturday: Partly sunny. Highs around 60. West winds around 10 mph.
- Saturday Night: Mostly cloudy in the evening…then becoming partly cloudy. Lows in the upper 30s.
- Sunday: Sunny. Highs in the lower 50s.
- Sunday Night: Clear. Lows in the upper 30s.
- Monday: Sunny. Highs around 60.
- Monday Night Through Tuesday Night: Partly cloudy. Lows in the lower 40s. Highs in the lower 60s.
- Wednesday: Mostly sunny. Highs in the mid 50s.