Based on updated weather forecasts and in the interest of visitor safety, the Blue Ridge Parkway is closing sections of the Parkway from Milepost 165, at VA State Route 8, south through North Carolina to Milepost 469, at Cherokee. These closures will remain in effect through Tuesday, September 12, 2017. During the period of closure the Parkway is closed to all traffic, including cyclists and hikers.
- Beginning at 2:00 p.m. today, gates will close on the Parkway motor road from Milepost 165 south to the NC/VA state line, at Milepost 217.
- All visitor facilities in this area will close at 2:00 p.m. These facilities include:
- Rocky Knob Campground, Picnic Area, and Visitor Center
- Mabry Mill
- Groundhog Mountain Picnic Area
- Rock Castle Gorge and Trail
- Blue Ridge Music Center
In North Carolina
- Park staff are currently closing gates at all sections of motor road from the state line, at Milepost 217 south through the Parkway’s southern terminus at Milepost 469.
- Gates through the Asheville corridor, from Milepost 377 (Craven Gap) to Milepost 393 (Hwy 191, NC Arboretum), will close beginning at 2:00 p.m. and be closed prior to evening commuting times.
- All visitor facilities in North Carolina will be closed by 2:00 p.m. today including campgrounds, picnic areas, and visitor centers.
- The Pisgah Inn (Milepost 408.6) will remain OPEN via Route 276.
Due to the nature of this weather event, information is subject to change. Parkway staff is keeping an eye on dams, rivers, and streams and will make additional closures if necessary. Visitors are encouraged to regularly check the Parkway’s online Real Time Road Map during this weather event for the latest road updates and opening information.
As Parkway managers prepare for possible impacts of this storm system, the top priority in all decisions is the safety and well-being of staff and visitors. The Blue Parkway is a living and fragile resource; and the public’s adherence to these warnings is vital to their personal safety as well as the protection of the Parkway.