By Jesse Wood
July 4, 2014. The Blowing Rock Town Council will hold a public hearing for a proposed development that includes 112-room hotel and four condominiums on a seven-acre site near downtown Blowing Rock.
The parcel in question is a wooded property that is located between the entrance of Chetola Resort and Hill Street.
Charlotte-based Catellus Group is requesting a conditional use permit to construct the mixed-use project that was recommended to council by the town’s Planning Board in June with these five conditions:
- Improve and widen Hill Street to 18 feet of asphalt width and curb and gutter on the east side of Hill St
- All parking areas shall be accessed from within the site
- Applicant shall provide escrow funds for sidewalk installation from south corner of Hill Street (at Main Street) to Southern Comforts
- All access to sidewalk within the site will be available to the public
- Provide public restrooms on the site
According to a memo from Planning Director Kevin Rothrock, the “Mountainleaf” development includes 112-room hotel with conference space and a spa, two restaurants, four condominiums and retail space of up to 26,000 square feet.
Tammy Bentley, an administrative assistant with the town’s planning department, said that Mountainleaf is aiming to open in 2015. She also mentioned that Catellus Group would hire a hotel management company to oversee the establishment.
For more details on the development, click to this 29-page document here.
See conceptual renderings of the project below.