By Jesse Wood
June 20, 2014. On Thursday, the Blowing Rock Planning Board recommended to the Town Council a mixed-used development on a 7.3-acre parcel of wooded property that is located between the entrance of Chetola Resort and Hill Street.
The developer is Charlotte-based Catellus Group, LLC, and the development is called Mountainleaf.
The project consists of a 112-room hotel with spa and meeting center. In addition, the developer plans to build four retail cottages with five residential units above each cottage.
Tammy Bentley, an administrative assistant with the town’s planning department, said that Mountainleaf is aiming to open in 2015. She also mentioned that Catellus Group would hire a hotel management company to oversee the establishment.
The Blowing Rock Planning Board’s recommendation was contingent upon Catellus Group LLC meeting five conditions:
1. Improve and widen Hill Street to 18 feet of asphalt width and curb and gutter on the east side of Hill St
2. All parking areas shall be accessed from within the site
3. Applicant shall provide escrow funds for sidewalk installation from south corner of Hill Street (at Main Street) to Southern Comforts
4. All access to sidewalk within the site will be available to the public
5. Provide public restrooms on the site
See more conceptual graphics of the proposed development.