by Madison Fisler Lewis
Sept. 1, 2014. On Friday, Aug. 29, Appalachian State University Chancellor Sheri N. Everts released a statement directed at the members of the Appalachian community. In her statement, Everts shared that after she announced that Athletic Director Charlie Cobb had stepped down as Appalachian State University’s Director of Athletics, she would now share the members of the search committee charged to find his replacement.
“This search is extremely important to the future of our student-athletes,” Everts said in the release. “I thank the members of this committee for their willingness to serve and, especially, Dr. Alan Hauser for agreeing to serve as chair. Recognizing the critical role athletics plays in supporting the academic mission will be paramount for the person selected to fill this position. By setting the vision which values these young men and women as students first, and creating a supportive infrastructure that recognizes the amazing dedication and work ethic they embody to participate in their sport at the college level, the new athletic director will ensure Appalachian Athletics is a source of pride for our university for many years.”
The names announced in the release as those serving on the search committee are as follows:
- Brad Adcock, Trustee
- Frank Aycock, Faculty Senate Representative and Professor of Communication
- John Blackburn, Former Trustee and Former Board of Governors Member
- Heather Brown, Women’s Golf Coach
- Avery Hall, Trustee and Former Athlete
- Jim Fox, Men’s Basketball Coach
- Logan Hallock, Football Player and Member of Student-Athlete Advisory Committee
- Alan Hauser, Chair, Faculty Athletics Representative and Professor of Religious Studies
- Jamie Moul, Associate Professor of Health & Exercise Science and Former Member of Athletics Council
- Susan Pettyjohn, Vice Chancellor for University Advancement
- James K. Reaves, President of the Alumni Association and Former Athlete
- Jonathan Reeder, Assistant to the Chancellor for Athletics
- Carson Rich, SGA President
- Debbie Richardson, Senior Associate Athletics Director
- Jean Roberts, Director of the Learning Assistance Program
- Alice Roess, Trustee and Member of Athletics Council
- Tommy Sofield, Former Athlete and President of US Buildings, Inc.
- Neva Specht, Associate Dean of Arts and Sciences and Member of Athletics Council
- Sara Warnock, Softball Player
In the release, Everts also thanked Interim Athletic Director Rick Beasley for stepping up during the time of transition.
On Aug. 15, ASU released a statement saying that Charlie Cobb, who served as Appalachian’s director of athletics since 2005 had resigned his position to accept the Director of Athletics position at Georgia State University.