By Madison Fisler Lewis
Dec. 4, 2014. On Friday, Dec. 5, Appalachian State University”s Hayes School of Music will host a Holiday Scholarship Concert at the Schaefer Center for the Performing Arts. The concert serves as a fundraiser to benefit scholarships for students in the Hayes School of Music.
“The show has almost anything you could imagine,” said coordinator Steve Hopkins. “There is a lot of what I would call Christmas pop tunes and there is classical music and everything in between.”
The concert has become a holiday tradition for the ASU community and the High Country, kicking off the season with holiday favorites in a festive, family friendly concert featuring student ensembles and orchestras from the Hayes School of Music.
“People enjoy this show because of the varitey, and the fact that we use almost every conceivable performance venue in the hall. We are in front of them, behind them, to the side. People say that after the show, they can officially start Christmas.”
The concert features many students from the Hayes School of Music, and raises money while showcasing the talents of the many impressive performers studying at the university.
The program contains the following:
- Christmas Melody – Steely Pan Steel Band
- Shepard”s Pipe Carol – Brass Ensemble
- Jingle Bells – Blazing Bassoons
- Vuelie from Frozen, Danse of the Mirlitons from Nutcracker – Flute Ensemble
- Good King Wenceslas – Jazz Ensemble I
- Christmas Medley – Jazz Vocal Ensemble
- Lo, How a Rose E”er Blooming, Greensleeves, It”s the Most Wonderful Time of the Year – Tuba and Euphonium Collective
- A Carol Fantasy, Winter Wonderland – Horn Choir
- Little Brother Jesus – Treble Choir
- Africa Mama – Bhekani Buthlezi
- We Wish You a Merry Christmas – Saxophone Faux-tet
- Hallelu – James Van Druten and RJ Wuagneaux
- Somebody Talkin” “Bout Jesus – University Singers
- Wassail Song, Westminster Carol – Trumpet Choir
- I”ll Be Home for Christmas, Here We Come A-Wassailing – Trombone Choir
- Little Strummer Boy, Joy to the World – Guitar Orchestra
- The Christmas Waltz – Chamber Singers
- Sleigh Ride – Symphony Orchestra
- Hallelujah – Symphony Orchestra, University Singers, Chamber Singers, Treble Choir
“For this show, we will likely raise between $13,000 and $15,000 depending on what the weather allows people to do,” Hopkins says. “All the money goes toward scholarships for the students in the program. This year, we will surpass the $150,000 mark total for all of the past concerts added together.”
Tickets for the concert are just $10 per person. To purchase tickets, click here or call 828-262-4046.
You must be logged in to post a comment.