Avery County Student art is on display for the month of April
- Cannon Memorial Hospital- You are invited to visit the student art gallery (k through 12) during the month of April. A drop-in reception will take place on April 23 from 5 to 6:30 p.m.
- State Employees Credit Union, Newland: Enjoy the art creation/projects from Cranberry Middle School Students. The art work is a result of a collaborative effort of math and art lessons.
- Congratulations! Each year students submit artwork to the Avery Ladies Auxiliary of Newland for the Patriotic Art Contest. 2013 winners are Coston Padgett 1st Place Winner and a prize of $50.00. Second Place winner is Arizona Clawson and a prize of $25.00.
Get your carb count for K-12 ACS school menus! Child Nutrition strives to serve low cost, nutritious meals to our students every day. For additional assistance on your child’s nutritional lunches, you can find out the exact carb count for their meal selections. Visit http://www.averyschools.net/Domain/15
Run for Freedom ACHS May 11: Run for Freedom is a benefit 5k run/walk for a committed group to stop the practice of human trafficking. For more information contact Erika Mclean at [email protected].
April is Autism Awareness Month: Fact: 1 percent of the population of Children in the US ages 3 through 17 have some type of Autism disorder. http://www.autism-society.org/
April is Child Abuse Prevention Month
To raise awareness all schools will have a blue ribbon bow to remind us to stop child abuse. The blue ribbon was started by a grandmother who lost her grandchild to excessive abuse. She tied a blue ribbon around her car antenna to remind her of her grandchild,
Dates for Elementary Talent Shows:
- April 16 Banner Elk Elementary and Freedom Trail Elementary
- April 22 Crossnore Elementary
*May 6 – 10 is Teacher Appreciation Week. This will also include our Child Nutrition Staff, School Health Team Nurses and other employees. Please take the time to join us as we extend our gratitude for a job well done!
For complete information about Avery County Schools visit www.averyschools.net
- April 9 Board of Education Meeting, 5:30 County Commissioners Building
- April 9 Grim Reaper Day Avery High School- sponsored by ACHS SADD Club Grim Reaper Day is intended to raise awareness to teen alcohol-related tragedies
- April 18-21 Spring Break- this may be altered—final approval will be at the
- Board of Education meeting, Tuesday April 9
- April 24 Professional Administrative Assistant Day
- April 25 Avery County’s Special Olympics Spring Games at Watauga High School
- April 26 Avery Scholars College Visit Day
- April 27 AHS 2013 Prom – Prom applications are available at the high school. Prom ticket sales begin April 8.
- May 2, 3, 4, 5 Avery High Drama team presents “Anything Goes.” (School performances will be on April 30 and May 1st. Contact Coleman Bailey at [email protected] for information.
- May 2 End of the Year Employee Celebration
- May 4 Freedom Trail Indoor Yard sale (more information to come.)
- May 6 – 10 Teacher/Employee/Child Nutrition Appreciation Week
- May 9 Avery Shining Stars Show! Avery High School (More information to come!)
- May 9 Avery High School 9th Grade Health Fair
- June Last Day of school and graduation—To be determined
2013 Kindergarten Registrations: 8:30 am
- April 11 CES
- April 16 FTES
- April 17 RES
For more information on kindergarten registration, visit www.averyschools.net.
Pre-K Screening Dates
Families of children who will reach their fourth birthday by August 31, 2013 are encouraged to apply for Pre-K, 2013. Screenings will take place at all elementary schools on the following dates:
- April 29, Banner Elk Elementary, Debra Wilcox, principal
- April 30, Crossnore Elementary, Ruth Shirley, principal
- May 1, Riverside Elementary, Tracy Grit, principal
- May 2, Freedom Trail Elementary, Brenda Reese, principal
- May 3, Newland Elementary, Tammy Beach, principal