April 16, 2013. Avery County Schools “Be in the Know” release:
There was a house fire last Friday night that destroyed the majority of the home of one of our families. The children are enrolled at AHS, NES and AMS. If you would like to donate anything to help this family rebuild, contact Dr. Monet Samuelson at the high school. Items may also be dropped off at the high school Career Center.
Clothes sizes for the family:
- Youth M/L Shirts, 12 slim pants
- Mens M/L Shirts, 32/34 pants
- Womens Medium Shirts, Size 1 pants
- (9th grade): Small shirts, Size 1 pants
- (19 yr old): Medium shirts, 30/32 pants
- (Middle school): Large shirts, 30/30 pants
Please join me with sincere thoughts and prayers as we support our fellow Americans that were involved in the Boston Marathon tragedy. We rally together, we support each other, we pull together to bring resolve and justice, we pray for each family involved… we are Americans.
- April 18 Half day for students/staff may leave 2 1/2 hours early, NES 11:30 all other schools 12 noon
- April 19 No School for students or staff Holiday for Memorial Day
2013 Kindergarten Registrations: 8:30 am
- April 16 FTES
- April 17 RES
For more information on kindergarten registration, click to www.averyschools.net.
Avery County Student art is on display for the month of April
- Cannon Memorial Hospital- You are invited to visit the student art gallery (k through 12) during the month of April. A drop-in reception will take place on April 23 from 5 to 6:30 pm.
- State Employees Credit Union, Newland
- Enjoy the art creation/projects from Cranberry Middle School Students. The art work is a result of a collaborative effort of math and art lessons.
- Get your carb count for k-12 ACS school menus! Child Nutrition strives to serve low cost, nutritious meals to our students every day. For additional assistance on your child’s nutritional lunches and meal selections, visit http://www.averyschools.net//Domain/15
Run for Freedom ACHS May 11
- Run for Freedom is a benefit 5k run/walk for a committed group to stop the practice of human trafficking. For more information contact Erika Mclean at [email protected].
April is Autism Awareness Month http://www.autism-society.org/
April is Child Abuse Prevention Month: To raise awareness all schools will have a blue ribbon bow to remind us to stop child abuse.
Dates for Elementary Talent Shows: All shows begin at 6 pm.
- April 16 Tonight! Banner Elk Elementary and Freedom Trail Elementary
- April 22 Crossnore Elementary
- *May 6 – 10 is Teacher Appreciation Week. This will also include our Child Nutrition Staff, School Health Team Nurses and other employees. Please take the time to join us as we extend our gratitude for a job well done!
- April 16 FTES PTO from 6 to 8 pm
- April 24 Professional Administrative Assistant Day
- April 25 Avery County’s Special Olympics Spring Games at Watauga High School
- April 26 Avery Scholars College Visit Day
- April 27 AHS 2013 Prom – Prom applications are available at the high school.
- May 2, 3, 4, 5 Avery High Drama team presents “Anything Goes” (School performances will be on April 30 and May 1st. Contact Coleman Bailey at [email protected] for information.
- May 2 End of the Year Employee Celebration, 6 to 8 p.m., Location: Church of Jesus Christ, Newland
- May 4 Freedom Trail Indoor Yard sale (more information to come.)
- May 6 – 10 Teacher/Employee/Child Nutrition Appreciation Week
- May 9 Avery Shining Stars Show! Avery High School (More information to come!)
- May 9 Avery High School 9th Grade Health Fair
- May 27 Early Release so that students my participate in the Newland Memorial Day, NES 11:30 all other schools 12 noon, Parade and ceremony at the Newland Square
- June 7 Last Day for students (half-day with NES 11:30 and all other schools 12 noon)
- June 7 Graduation for the Class of 2013 (6:30 pm)
- June 10 Last Day for teachers
- June 17 First day of summer school (more information to come)
Pre-K Screening Dates
Families of children who will reach their fourth birthday by August 31, 2013 are encouraged to apply for Pre-K, 2013. Screenings will take place at all elementary schools on the following dates:
- April 29, Banner Elk Elementary, Principal Debra Wilcox
- April 30, Crossnore Elementary, Principal Ruth Shirley
- May 1, Riverside Elementary, Principal Tracy Grit
- May 2, Freedom Trail Elementary, Principal Brenda Reese
- May 3, Newland Elementary, Principal Tammy Beach