By Jessica Lyons
The Banner Elk Chamber of Commerce recently released its 2016 events schedule, which is packed full of concerts, parades and so much more for the community to enjoy. Events will begin in March and end in December. with their well-known Christmas in the Park event.
The schedule will kick off with an Easter Egg Hunt on March 19 at the Banner Elk School. Although this event is primarily targeted for children and families, Banner Elk will host many events that welcome community members of all ages.
Eleven of the events hosted this year will be free concerts performed by local bands and artist. Most of the events are held in Tate Evans Park, a public venue which allows the town to keep admissions to their events free of charge.
Jo-Ann McMurray, president of the Banner Elk Chamber, said she is looking to expand the calendar with fundraising events, but none have been planned at this time. The town recently purchased the Banner Elk School, and will be working to fund the payments.
Events held by the Banner Elk Chamber are used to promote local businesses and community involvement. All of the events are free to attend, and at-event purchases can be made from the local businesses who come to the event.
“A lot of families have second homes in Banner Elk, so we hope that local and seasonal residents will come out and support the community at the events we plan,” McMurray said.
In addition to creating appealing events for the local residents, McMurray said she also hopes to bring a bigger volume of tourism into the town. Banner Elk prides itself in being a year-round town with events tailored to the seasons.
Each of the events will help promote the economy of Banner Elk year round, allowing the community to showcase its businesses, as well as its local efforts to bring more people into the town.
Christmas in the Park, a keystone event for the Chamber, was inspired by McMurray’s participation in the event in Matawan, New Jersey. The Banner Elk version of this event was crafted from years of McMurray’s family involvement in the Matawan Christmas in the Park.
“I’d have to say Christmas in the Park is my favorite out of the events we host because my family has participated in it for years,” McMurray said.
The Banner Elk Chamber has currently announced 17 events it will host in 2016. To learn more about individual events, contact the Chamber of Commerce directly at 828 898-8395.
Banner Elk Schedule of Events:
- Saturday, March 19th– Easter Egg Hunt- The Easter Egg Hunt will be held at the Historic Banner Elk School. Breakfast with the Bunny will be at 9am at the Banner Elk Cafe. Then cross the street to the school for activities starting at 10am and the Egg Hunt at 11am!
- Saturday, June 11th– Second Saturday in Banner Elk- All Day Fun in Banner Elk!
- Thursday, June 23– Concert in the Park- Smokey Breeze- Free concert in Tate Evans Park @ 6:30pm
- Thursday, June 30– Concert in the Park- The Extraordinaires- Free concert in Tate Evans Park @ 6:30pm
- Monday, July 4th- Annual Fourth of July Parade
- Thursday, July 7- Concert in the Park-The Flying Saucers-Free concert in Tate Evans Park @ 6:30pm
- Saturday, July 9th– Second Saturday in Banner Elk- All Day Fun in Banner Elk!
- Thursday,July 14– Concert in the Park- Mama’s Remedy- Free concert in Tate Evans Park @ 6:30pm
- Thursday, July 21– Concert in the Park- Jocassee with Wilson Braswell & Hope Harvey- Free concert in Tate Evans Park @ 6:30pm
- Thursday, July 28– Concert in the Park- Buick Mackane- Free concert in Tate Evans Park @ 6:30pm
- Thursday, Aug 4- Concert in the Park- Sharkedelics- Free concert in Tate Evans Park @ 6:30pm
- Saturday, August 13th- Second Saturday in Banner Elk- All Day Fun in Banner Elk!
- Thursday, Aug 11– Concert in the Park- Benny Wilson Band- Free concert in Tate Evans Park @ 6:30pm
- Thursday, Aug 18– Concert in the Park- Wolfcreek- Free concert in Tate Evans Park @ 6:30pm
- Thursday, Aug 25– Concert in the Park- The Deluge- Free concert in Tate Evans Park @ 6:30pm
- Thursday, Sept 1– Concert in the Park- Whip Daddy’s-Free concert in Tate Evans Park @ 6:30pm
- Saturday, December 3rd– Christmas in the Park