Feb. 25, 2013. Yesterday morning, the Boone Police Department responded to a report of a sexual assault. The victim reported that at approximately 3:30 a.m. she was walking alone in the vicinity of the 300 block of West King Street. A vehicle occupied by two Hispanic males stopped alongside the victim inquiring if she was okay and then drove on. A short time later, the victim was grabbed from behind, forced behind a building and sexually assaulted.
The victim described the suspect as a Hispanic male, short in height with a stocky/pudgy build.
The investigation into this incident is ongoing.
Investigators are asking anyone with information to contact the Boone Police Department at 828-268-6900 or High Country Crime Stoppers at 828-268-6959. All information will be kept confidential and you may be eligible for a reward of up to $1,000.
Tips for Staying SAFE:
- Always try and walk with a friend, especially during the hours of darkness.
- Be aware of your surroundings. Knowing where you are and who is around you may help you to find a way to get out of a bad situation.
- Try to avoid isolated or poorly lighted areas. It is more difficult to get help if no one is around.
- Walk with purpose. Even if you don’t know where you are going, act like you do.
- Trust your instincts. If a situation or location feels unsafe or uncomfortable, it probably isn’t the best place to be.
- Try not to load yourself down with packages or bags as this can make you appear more vulnerable.
- Make sure your cell phone is with you and charged.
- Avoid putting music headphones in both ears so that you can be more aware of your surroundings, especially if you are walking alone.